+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Facebook thread about child leashes.... Judgmental or what ?

Meh ... Judge away ... My (nearly) 3yo won't hold hands, or will only do it for a short time till she runs away ... I can chase after her but that means leaving my 4yo behind ... Guess I'm just lazy!

Worst moment of my parenting life ... At melb airport going thru security at domestic terminal ... Had to take her backpack off to go thru metal detector ... She had to go thru by herself ... NO security stopped her on the other side but my damn belt went off so i couldnt go thru and she just ran straight up the terminal ... It was awful ... I was yelling at security ... When I got cleared I eventually caught up to her then got in trouble because I left all my belongings on X-ray machine.

So yeah feel free to judge my laziness

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have not had to use one, but having a strong-willed child myself, i never would judge someone for having one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put dogs on leashes for their safety not because we want to be dominant over them and make them feel downtrodden. I'd rather see a child on a leash than under a car! When I see kids with a leash on I think "meh, must be a bolter". I've helped a heavily pregnant friend walk from a cafe to her car with her son doing the bolt and it wore me out. I had to leave my pram and 2 babies with my friend while I chased and wrangled her heavy 2 year old.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've stood in a queue or at a checkout with DS on a safety harness and he started playing up (well, just being a normal toddler really). He got down on all fours to see what was on the ground and was tugging at the strap. To an outsider it may have looked like I treated my son like a dog but it was nothing of the sort. He just liked to get on the ground... a lot. Given he was around 20kg at the time I invite anyone to come with me and carry him. Using the harness made for a much better outing. He was happier therefore I was happier and more patient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have a 21kg under three year old. Prams only tend to go up to 18kgs. He has recently been given autistic disorder diagnosis. I use one of the backpacks because he is a runner. Believe me, if anyone ever gives me sh$t about it, I will rip them a new one. I would prefer for him to be on a 'leash' then under the back wheels of a car

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well this is very refreshing.

I've seen this type of thread on BH before, and usually it ends up with people making all kinds of hostile remarks about harnesses (including the irrelevant 'you wouldn't do it to an adult' argument, which makes no sense at all).

I think they're great.

I bought one for DD, but haven't had to use it as she's happy to either sit in the pram or hold hands. She occasionally runs, but then it's straight in the pram, and she's never been enough of a runner for me to need to use it.

I think the backpack ones are cute, and I think they're a good idea. They allow kids to stay active/ walking, feel like they have some independence (especially if they're not hand holders), and they stay safe. Good all round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Pre child I thought they looked like dog leashes and looked horrible. Then I had kids and grew a brain lol. The vast majority of parents use them as a safety device, and I can imagine the flack a parent of a bolter would get if heaven forbid they ran in front of a car.

If it keeps the child safe, great. People need to get over themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to be really against them but then i had a toddler - suddenly i 'got' it and now i am not bothered by them at all. Better to have a child in a harness vs a child run over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If it works for you and your family who gives a hoot what random strangers think.

I know I would rather a alive child with random strangers saying rude things, than a dead child and random strangers saying rude things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why is it acceptable to use safety harnesses in cars, in prams, on swings, in highchairs, on shopping trolleys AND on dogs, yet so many people don't like them on kids when walking in shopping centers, through car parks and alongside busy roads?

We don't refer to cots as cages yet they are so similar in construction and use. Many people cage their pets, yet we don't refer a baby in a cot FOR THEIR SAFETY SAKE being referred to as 'caged'.

We don't draw similarities to a child being wrapped and a strait jacket.

Both cats and dogs and children get 'toilet trained'.

And why are dogs worth more than kids? My dog was trained to heal nicely and she never ran away and yet I was required by law to leash her except in leash free designated areas - my kids are loved way more and are 'worth' more than my dog and yet so many people judge parents negatively for using a harness designed for a child.

I'd defy anyone who has a child like dd when she was younger to go shopping and maintain both custody of dd AND their sanity.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (18-09-2012),beebs  (18-09-2012),CupidsVictim  (22-09-2012),Guest654  (18-09-2012),shelle65  (18-09-2012),tormyxxx  (18-09-2012)