+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I prefer to see parents hold the childs hand and use the harness as a back up, but no judgement here, I have two that scamper in opposite directions and are too heavy to carry.

I'd rather see harnessed kids than kids hit by cars or lost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used one on my Son once, and he'd just run to the end of the lead and fall down. Over and over again.. lol. So it lasted all of about an hour at hour house. I don't like them at all.

Absolutely no judgment here though for people that use them, keeping your kid safe is more imporant than worrying about others judging you. As BlissedOut said though, I'd rather see a parent trying to teach the child to hold hands, and only using the leash as a backup safety method, rather than letting their toddler pull on the end of the leash like a dog dragging it's owner around. Lol. I know that sounds awful but not sure how else to put it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't like them at all. My son is a bolter but I will never buy one, I just hold his hand and chase him when he attempts to escape. I don't really care if others use them, I just couldn't put my son on a lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I used one. I have no doubt it kept him from accident and injury. Also several times flying alone with him as a toddler. Sorting out bags, checking luggage and the pram, wrist strap on I could take my eyes off him a moment in the air port no worries. Plus he thought he was the coolest little chap with it on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Why is it ok to strap a toddler in a pram (in fact it's usually not acceptable NOT to strap a toddler in) but not ok to strap a toddler to yourself using a device made for that purpose? It also means they get exercise and a little more independence.
    I think because people make a connection between kids on leashes and dogs on leashes.

I have 2 dogs and could never imagine using one on my son because for me it's too close to haivng dogs on leashes. DS1 is a runner, and runs onto roads etc, and is fast. I still wouldn't use one, but I don't care if other people use them. They are using them for the best reason (ie child safety). I find other ways to manage his running.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are a brilliant idea, always have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use one occasionally with DS if he refuses to get in the pram. I dont see how they are any worse than strapping a child into a pram.
    At least by using the 'leash' DS can walk and have some independance. Most of the time he will hold my hand but if he doesnt want to do that i know he is still going to be safe.
    Plus the monkey backpack he has is so cute!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. One person on Facebook said " if you cannot control you child you should not have kids" ...... That's so terrible. For delays and autism and other things like deafness or even a child who is just not the type to hold hands or you have an injury yourself ..... They are great. It's more the judgements I think that bother me .... Once I had my autistic son on one why we waited for a bus... He had no comprehension skills or verbal at that stage and would have run into road no thought , I could say 1000 ways to hold my hand but he just wouldn't get it. I was also pregnant. A woman looked sadly at my son and said" he wants to be free" I felt awful but hey lady I want my boy safe and we have just been to the playground and beach for 2 hrs with no leash !! But I still felt like A bad mum because of comment. I think more understanding of each other is needed .

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to despise them...until my son turned 2 He is a runner and I was heavily pregnant...it never really worked out though because he would just jerk on it then fall over constantly (soooo annoying) and then he would lay down and remove to move, but I can completely understand if other people use them. I think those who are judgemental don't really think about "why" the parent might be using one (me included, pre-kids).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Facebook thread about child leashes.... Judgmental or what ?

I don't see the difference between restraining them in a pram or on a harness. At least they're getting some exercise on a harness. It must be a godsend to some parents when Bub no. 2 comes along. I will use one for DD if I need to. At the moment I'm giving her lots of time out of the pram to teach her to walk independently before Bub arrives but I won't hesitate using one if she stars doing runners. She hates sitting in a pram now so seems like the obvious solution. Like other pps have said. Safety comes first!