+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the bill is correct then check out the appliances to see if they are the cause. We had a freezer that was turned up too high and that sent the bill up and hot water storage systems ours is gas but when it corroded a hole in it our gas bill tripled as it was heating the water constantly and it would be the same for an electric system. I am quite freaked out by some of the posters bills ,we have a 4x2 and run 3 tvs all day and have 7 fridges and freezers running and the aircon all summer and our highest one is over summer at $540 but is usually around $385 for the rest of the year for 2 months supply and that is with the increases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I didn't quote ( on iPad and can't work it out) but I forgot to add I also wash 2 times or more a day with a 9kg washing machine and I use a dryer to dry everything all year round. The freezers and fridges are all full and get used daily too. Feeling fortunate atm that our bills are not so high but what about the ppl in the eastern states ,how on earth can ppl afford bills like that?! Our bills are 2 monthly so that would account for some of the difference if it was quarterly then it would be around $750 over summer.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 18-09-2012 at 11:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep ours went from 400 to 900

It's just ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a pool and need to run a heater all night in my DD1's room in winter cause of her asthma so ours is always high in winter but ours went from $700 last winter to $1200.

We turn lights off, wash in cold, don't leave the tv on, or computers etc, have one fridge and freezer combo...the dryer got used a bit more but no way was it $500 more!! The price increase is a joke. In NSW at least you basically can no longer afford to use electricity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow...so my $300 bill is good then! Lol. Usually it's $250

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems like everyone is in the same position at the moment seems like no matter what you do, you can't beat the high power costs Our bills are usually around $600 & recently we have tried to lower it even more by turning everything off at the wall at night etc & our new bill was $1200 !! explain that a**holes AND they want it NOW ! you would think with the rising cost of power & how much it's hurting people financially, they would at least be a bit more compassionate, but no ...

Seriously, something has to give ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the rising cost of living it's just one more cost to stress about!!!! Seriously how do the power companies think people are going to cope with these astronomic bills, in tassie our costs are set to rise again and I know I can't afford it, we need to eat too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Look at the heater. NSW has just had the coldest winter on record. My summer bills are usually around $350 but last winter we had to run the heater overnight for same reason and my bill went to over $1000. The average heater is 2500w and with the price of electricity is currently costing about 75c an hour to run (based on paying 30c a kW for electricity), if this was heating 8 of the 10 or 12 hours overnight that alone would add almost $550 to your bill.

Most dryers aren't too bad, as long as you aren't running them 24/7. Find the wattage of your drier divide by 1000 and multiply by your rate and you can work out cost per an hour. So most are 2000w and in NSW most are being charged maybe 30c a kW on average (or more during peak periods if you have smart meters!!) So if you run it 1 hour every single day for a quarter you would add $55 to the bill, give or take for cents and gst etc
    Thanks Our heater is the same heater that we were using last year, in the same house so even if it isn't the most energy efficient heater it was still the same heater.
    We're hopefully buying a house by the end of the year and will be getting solar panels installed before next winter so we won't be stung so badly again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bill was $800 this quarter too! It's crazy! Up $200-300 from our last bill. Seem it was over winter I really am hoping it's better next quarter.