+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very Sad for both the mother and child. I would surely have thought that the protective instinct would kick in by 4 months and you wouldn’t do such an extreme thing when you have a tiny life inside of you. I find it quite selfish too i have to admit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's such a sad thing to happen, and I would never do it, pregnant or not.

That said - a lot of pregnant women speed/text/talk on the phone while driving - that's a HUGE risk to take, and we've all done it before. Maybe we should think about the things we do "everyday" that endanger ourselves, our children, our unborn babies, and the people driving in the car next to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is very sad for her family, especially considering she was begged by her mother not to do it.

I wouldn't chose to do anything that dangerous, ever, let alone when a precious baby is growing inside me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It surprises me how many people comment on how irresponsible and stupid this woman was. She has passed away, so tragic

We all know how many people die on our roads every year, yet we still continue to drive. We know that listeria can harm an unborn baby yet we continue to have the odd slice of ham. How's that any different? This sport was her life and she has never had a problem. She probably weighed up the risks and thought it was ok to perform a final jump.

So sad, may she and her baby rest in peace!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (18-09-2012),headoverfeet  (18-09-2012),Leens  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    It surprises me how many people comment on how irresponsible and stupid this woman was. She has passed away, so tragic

We all know how many people die on our roads every year, yet we still continue to drive. We know that listeria can harm an unborn baby yet we continue to have the odd slice of ham. How's that any different? This sport was her life and she has never had a problem. She probably weighed up the risks and thought it was ok to perform a final jump.

I think the reason people feel that way is because they feel she chose to put herself in an extraordinary and avoidable situation of risk.
    There are always going to be risky activities that one must partake in whilst pregnant, for many people driving, catching public transport and other such activities are a necessity of life.
    But for most people, jumping off a cliff would not be considered a necessity. I do agree though many of us (including me) do tend to wear our judgey pants when we read things like this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As sad and as selfish/stupid we consider it....

I read it as someone who was incredibly passionate about a sport and wanting one last go at it before she became a mother. Assuming (its unknown) if this was her first jump since becoming pregnant, she wouldn't have known that her last jump was going to be her last jump iykwim, and needed one more to be able to say goodbye to the sport mentally/emotionally.

By the sounds of it, she'd been doing the sport for years and had lots of experience and not had an adverse event and unfortunately this one was it At least she died doing what she loved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Comparing base jumping to driving isn't the same. A more appropriate comparison would be to drag racing on a suburban street at 2am. It really is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, and there's a good reason why it's illegal in most countries.

It's incredibly sad, particularly how she would have known she was about to die. I just feel so sad for her partner and her family she has left behind.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree!

She was a professional base jumper so for her it was probably equivalent to getting into a car and going for a drive.

Im sure we have all put ourselves in dangerous situations and just because this particular scenario is against the norm (personally I would NEVER do this pregnant or not) doesnt make her any less of a person/mother. I hope her and her baby RIP

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Totally agree! Loads of pregnant women do high risk things I don't see this as any different. A tragic accident may they both rest in peace xo

ETA. no I wouldn't in general so I would not do it pregnant by default. I don't do any other extreme sports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very sad

Not something I would ever do pregnant or otherwise I'm very risk adverse!!