+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Electric head live comb - any good?

With all of our technology you'd think somebody would have thought of a way to kill head lice. Over the past 6 weeks I think I have treated my daughter about 4 times and it's driving me crazy. Disgusting little creatures! I'm considering buying one of those electric lice combs but wondering if others had found them any good? With the lotion costing about $20 a pop I thought paying for an electric lice comb for about $50 might be worth it in the long run!

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought one for dsd2, I swear she's had nits for the last seven years! We only used it a couple of times, as it just felt really clumsy and I wasn't comfortable that it was getting everything. Her mum uses kp24, and I use banlice mousse. In between uses we spray a mix of teatree oil, conditioner and water every morning. This seems to work, but she doesn't seem to care or notice when she has them so they keep. coming. back and she doesn't bother letting us know she's itching again. Sorry, needed to vent that a bit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We haven't used the electric lice combs so can't help there, but, a friend was telling me about her sister (who has extremely long thick hair) and her 6 children. Apparently she uses the shampoo/salt solution and pegs a pillowcase to the kids heads (face out of course). Apparently after the waiting time (a movie) the pillowcase is full of head lice that have jumped off the kid's heads.

We haven't had head lice this year (thankfully this year DD is not hanging around the kids with lice problems), so I haven't personally tried it, but would LOVE for someone to try it and tell me whether it worked.

Anyway, I found a website (American) that talks about the method/quantities. Cheap shampoo + salt + time. Couldn't be much easier. Here is the website for you to have a look

http://licegone.wordpress.com/2010/0...ant-head-lice/

Please let me know how you went if you try this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my little sister (11 yrs younger than me) was in school one of her friends constantly had nits and cause my little sister played with her all the time she would get them and pass them onto me. I was 18-20 at the time and it drove me mental.
    I bought one of the electric combs cause the solutions weren't doing squat. I loved it. I could do my own hair every morning and evening, my hair stopped being stripped by chemicals. I would do my little sister too, and she complained less about the electric comb than having the solution put on.
    I would highly recommend them. As soon as my kids have their first infestation I plan on getting one.
    In the mean time, I use a solution of tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, conditioner and water as a taming spray every morning and they have yet to get a single nit, even with friends having them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Electric head live comb - any good?

Thanks for your replies. This time round I used lots of plain old conditioner and then combed the nits out of her hair. So far so good. Maybe this in combination with the electric comb to get the live crawling lice might be a good way to tackle things in the future without having to use chemical locations on my DD every few weeks.

Mrsdj1234 - is it a Robi comb that you have or another brand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was the Robi comb. Sadly I no longer had it cause I left it when I moved out of home so mum could still use it on my sister and she lost it somewhere along the lines. I would buy another Robi comb in a heartbeat though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum used a Robi comb on me when I was younger. I loved that more than the treatments. But one thing I have found lately (I have been around kids with head lice) the best solution is in the morning put normal conditioner in the kids hair without washing it out. Looks disgusting and greasy, but the lice don't like the feel of it on their feet. Whenever I go see my friends kids, I put some conditioner in my hair then tie it up. Been doing that for about a year and had no lice since I started doing it.

But yes a Robi comb is very worth it if the kids can sit still long enough. Lol