+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fraser Island....

Has anyone been? we usually camp at Tewantin but have decided to go to fraser in a few weeks as hubby would really love to go.

Im wondering if anyone knows also what would happen in an emergency? is there reception out there?

I will be 36 weeks pg and we are going for 4 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fraser Island is awesome but when we were there (about 2 years ago) we couldn't get reception on the east side of the Island, you can on the west side that looks out to Hervey Bay where kingfisher bay resort is. At 36 weeks I'm not sure how fun it would be but maybe you can live it up on the resort and he can rough it on the other side

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it were me i'd probably leave it till after bub is born would hate for you to go into labour over there. Not 100% sure about the reception but i guess you could make sure you stay somewhere that you get reception

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well even though we are "camping" we dont rough it lol we got our nice comfy camper and all the bells and whistles....i just would hate to be stuck at home wishing i was there and with such a complication free pregnancy so far and a history of long labour im not too worried, i suppose if we need we could belt around tot he resort side and call soemone or something..its not completly remote is it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

We just spent a week camping on Fraser Island last month.

There is no reception in areas and very strong reception in others. Around the villages, Orchid Beach, Eurong and Happy Valley there was full reception.

There is also a police station at Eurong and an Ambulance station at Happy Valley.

I know the barge to and from Rainbow Beach runs continuously during daylight hours and it is only a 5 minute barge trip. However at high tide some areas of the island do become inaccessible. There are inland ways around most of these sections, but I'm not aware if there are inland ways around ALL of them. Of concern to you may be access to the barge, we went around there a couple of hours after high tide and you could see that there were sections that would be completely blocked off at high tide...There are also light planes that land and take off from the beach, but not entirely sure what the story is with those.

If you decide not to go now due to the pregnancy I highly recommend you do go at another time. It is absolutely amazing. We are planning on going back yearly.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 18-09-2012 at 08:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (18-09-2012)