+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much does it really cost to renovate/extend?

Has anyone got any stories about buying a Reno or a 3 bed and making it a 4 bed?
    Do you regret it?
    Was it awesome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a hundreds of stories as I have been selling them for over 20 years!
    Do you mean to live in or to renovate to sell again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We bought a very run down 2 bedroom ex-housing commission house with a relatively new separate garage on the property. We gutted the house - new bathroom, kitchen, ripped a wall or two down, moved the linen closet. It took 6 or so months of weekends (we didn't live there) to get the main house done and ready to rent out and cost about 30k. We did most of the work ourselves and used tradie mates where needed.

We converted the garage to a granny flat, I had DD at the start of that project so we had tradies do most of the work which made it happen much quicker. Approvals took the longest time! For building works and fees for approvals/certificates/general council red tape it was about 40-50k.

We get enough rent from the house and flat to cover all of the mortgage so yeah, it's worth it! Especially as values in that area are rising nicely.

It takes a lot of commitment to take on a project like that and be prepared for unexpected costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hate it!
    We bought a reno job the designer screwed us around so much it's taken 4yrs from planning, council approvement to it being built.
    We've only just finished the new kitchen/living area. Still have the laundry and bathroom to go.

It's worth it as far as buying a cheaper property. But It's easier to pull down and completely start from scratch. Oh and living in a property that needs renos sucks to. Especially with little kids around. It gets dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it if you have children.

Hmm postive side there have been some very attractive tradies coming through to do work lol

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We bought our house 6+ years ago, a *ahem* 'renovators delight'.

Unless you can do the work yourself it's hideously expensive. A new kitchen costs anywhere between $10-$20k, a complete rehauled bathroom costs around $15k. There would also be minimum sizes on rooms to be able to call it a 'bedroom' so that people don't start calling cupboards bedrooms. The age of a house can also play a factor. Our house was built in the mid 60s so it's asbestos, no wall or roof is plumb and nothing is what is now standard size (eg windows) so often things need to be custom made or customised to fit. Older houses can also have more maintenance costs such as upgrading electrics, repointing or replacing roofs, replacing drainage and plumbing which are all PITA because you have to pay a fortune and there is no visible difference to the house.

Both our children are very familiar with the local Bunnings.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok thanks...
    You've already put me off...!
    We have to move very very unexpectantly. I've been crying for 2 days.
    I just don't know what to do.
    We have 3 kids, another one due on 1/4/13.
    My DH is as handy as t!ts on a bull.
    I'm just in a heap.
    Thanks for your stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been slowly renovating, if we had tons of spare $$ it would be easier but we have to save for each bit.

So if you have the $$$ to pay people to do it all for you its a great idea if your DP is not at all handy then its not so good.

Its not so bad with kids as long as you tackle one job at a time and contain the mess and chaos to that area.

You could always put the kids in rooms together until you get time to add the extra bedroom.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 09-12-2012 at 09:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

We bought a 3 bedroom house that already had plans to do a second storey. It was very nice and very liveable as it was. We just finished doing the extension in March. All up, it cost about 180k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the house. We lived in a house that didn't need much work but needed to be more practical for our family. We put in a new kitchen. One day to rip out, two days to install (tradies). With new appliances we spend about $15 000.

We repainted the house ourselves and put a new floor in. We just did the painting a room at a time and the flooring was the hardest as we had to rip up tiles and concrete dust goes everywhere! However, we had a great house and it cost us alot less at the time to do that and live in a bit of mess for a short time then move and build (which we have just done and by crikey that is alot of work)!

I hope your situation gets better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It didn't cost us much to renovate ,we did a new kitchen and bathroom and extended the lounge room for a few thousand dollars but the house was not the best structurally and we ended up knocking the whole thing down and building a new one. If it just needs a little paint etc then it wouldn't be so bad.