+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When i stop sometimes he just sits in his chair but sometimes i just pick him uo straight away and we go play..Havnt tried foods he can feed himself because he doesn't like lumps so thought he would hate it. gags at lumps when i tried a couple of times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Give it a go! Sometimes babies who don't like lumps are happy with finger foods cos they can control how it goes in their mouth. Slice your toast into fingers, or steam some carrot sticks or broccoli florets with a handle for baby to hold. Cucumber sticks are a great first food too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cucumber!!? What if they stick it down their throat or bite off a bit and choke on it??

I love the idea of BLW but I'm worried about choking.

Its probably a bit of ignorance on my behalf but how can a baby chew on a chop? If you are out at a restaurant and you give a baby what you eat, wouldn't you be worried about the salt and additives in the food? Reactions to certain herbs or spices etc?

my 6.5 month old doesn't eat anywhere near as much as many of you mention. I'm now paranoid that I have no idea what or how to feed her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Cucumber!!? What if they stick it down their throat or bite off a bit and choke on it??

I love the idea of BLW but I'm worried about choking.

Its probably a bit of ignorance on my behalf but how can a baby chew on a chop? If you are out at a restaurant and you give a baby what you eat, wouldn't you be worried about the salt and additives in the food? Reactions to certain herbs or spices etc?

my 6.5 month old doesn't eat anywhere near as much as many of you mention. I'm now paranoid that I have no idea what or how to feed her.
    DD loves cucumber! She scrapes the flesh with her gums and its nice and cool so perfect for teething. Yes they may bite some off...often DD will gag and it comes out. She gagged more at the start as she was getting used to foods and what happened when they were in her mouth but now she hardly gags at all.

With BLW is it a learning curve for the parents as well...to be comfortable with their bubs learning to eat and that the gagging or coughing is normal.

Thing is the whole pureed thing is relatively new....like the introduction of farex and all that. Before it was give bubs the food you eat.

With chops DD just holds onto the handle and gums the meat (and those gums are tough!). She also sucks a lot of the juice as well so she gets her iron that way. Now at 10 months she is starting to tear things and put them in her mouth. I have some pics on my phone....will try to upload them.

As far as addivities/salt/etc are concerned I guess I am not so worried about it. We dont eat bad food (all the time) and I would prefer to let her palatte experience all the flavours out there. As far as allergies, we dont have allergies in the family so we are safe in that regard however when I introduced eggs and peanut butter I just kept an eye on her to see if there as any reaction.

And please dont be paranoid with food intake. As long as they are happy, healthy and putting on weight they you are doing the right thing.

If you stick with the purees I remember the norm was introduce a new food every three days.

All I can suggest is do a bit of research and see whats going on and just do what YOU feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is your 6 month old eating and how often?

Dd at 6.5 mo eating spag bog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    When i stop sometimes he just sits in his chair but sometimes i just pick him uo straight away and we go play..Havnt tried foods he can feed himself because he doesn't like lumps so thought he would hate it. gags at lumps when i tried a couple of times.
    Gagging is normal! When you consider for the first 6 mo of their life all they have is milk so when introducing solids its a new thing for them and they try to suck it back like milk and thats when it hits their gag reflex. They are just getting used to food so dont be afraid. Gagging doesnt mean they hate the food...its just them getting used to eating the food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Re cuddles await- you were worried as to what to feed your baby when out and about. I always order veges or salad (no dressing) with my meals. Thick pieces of steak, grilled fish, or chicken are fine too. Dd1 at 7mths was eating my risotto easily. Gagging is the way that babies work out how far to push their food into their mouth. Its normal and supposed to happen. They gag, spit the food out then push it back in again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think feeding baby solids is the hardest thing. I don't know how much or what to give. He has had maybe 5 different vegies and 2 fruits since we started 2 months ago.. so tjats not a great variety. I will start giving him what i eat sort of. So if its chops for tea he gets a slice of chop and steamed vege.So do u give this before milk? Usually ds gets solids at 530 then bottle at 630 and bed. so maybe if he doesn't have bottle first he will fill up on solids right? might start a new post on night time routine actually..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, this thread has been an interesting read. I'm in the process of weaning ds2 and his eating habits are so different to ds1. Ds1 ate anything off the spoon that I made, ds2 however is fussy and prefers jar/satchet baby food!! I think ds2 would love BLW, but I am nervous like most mums. He is 7.5m now and I'm still stressed about feeding him solids, it's like he's my first baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 7 months and she's not eating anywhere near what your babies are eating! She eats twice a day and has only just started to eat a whole bowl as opposed to the few spoonful's before. I had a lot of pressure to give solids from 4months and eventually gave in around 5months and she was fine, when we got to 6 months she started getting rashes to foods she was eating fine before. So maybe I'm still a little bit nervous. We have a strong family history of allergies and she is booked in for an allergy test next week. Are there any suggestions for books to feed?
    Bub eats Farex with (store bought) pureed apple. Or if it's a really hot day I'll let her have the apple on it's own for breakfast.
    I've tried so many different store bought purees and she gets a terrible reaction (red rash with white welts all over her body which she screams the house down with) She was the same with Farex but I tried it again a month later and she eats it fine now.
    She normally poos once every day but since feeding certain foods she can get a bit constipated (occasionally she will not poo for two-three days)
    She eats a vegetable (normally pumpkin/potato/carrot/zucchini) mashed, cooked with meat/chicken, and then I use the water stock to mash the vegetable. She is breastfed on demand throughout the day and she still wakes twice at night for a feed.
    She will happily chew on carrots or apples or cucumber sticks to soothe teething every now and then.

Is there anything else you could recommend feeding her?
    I feel terrible now as I feel I'm starving her.
    Last edited by yummymummy03; 21-10-2012 at 17:53.