+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is your 6 month old eating and how often?

my boy is 6 months old now and just wondering what other parents are feeding their bubs and how much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the answers will differ as to whether people are BLWing or not. We spoon fed and by six months DD was eating three decent meals a day, between 140 - 210mLs a feed usually.
    Breakfast was usually weetbix/rice cereal with fruit and then some yoghurt.
    Lunch was fruit usually, with some soft finger food occasionally.
    Dinner was usually veggies or pasta. DD loves spag bol and tuna mornay but refuses all other blitzed meat so if we ate roast or steak we gave her a strip of meat to munch on. I would mix fish through veggies with a fork which she loved.
    Also if we are out and/or eating when she eats she tries some of whatever we have. On fathers day she shared a Chinese banquet with us and ate almost as much food as i did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry for thread crashing but this thread reminded me of a question i have - my DD is 4 months old & is drinking 240mls (formula) per feed (4 bottles a day) does this sound like too much ? She doesn't seem satisfied with any less. She does tend to spit up quite a bit after she's burped though. She's also getting a teaspoon of organic rice cereal (spoon fed) once a day using the last 20mls of her bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, our bub started solids at 5 months (he s now 6.5 months old now). He's started with rice cereal once a day, then the following - sweet potato, apple, pear, broccoli, banana, carrot & pumpkin. All organic & puréed at home. We've now just started rice porridge mixed with carrot, broccoli & pumpkin. He has fruit & rice cereal fro brekky, fruit & yoghurt for lunch & rice porridge for dinner. This is accompanied with some water & then formula usually between 120- about 20mins after solids. He seems to love his food & usually eagerly looking for more after he finishes! Next challenge is what to try next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I BLW...started at 6 mo...so bascially she gets everything we eat. Toast, meat, steamed veggies to hold and eat, strawberries, pears, omlettes, pancakes, chicken strips....pretty much anything she can get her hands on!

Sorry I should add with BLW they eat as much as they want....so when she stops eating that when she has had enough. I can tell as she usually throws it off her tray when she has had enough...dog loves it tho!
    Last edited by FluffyDucks; 21-09-2012 at 17:04. Reason: added more

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I am a bit behind...what does BLW mean? I'm finding with my boy he's gagging on chunkier foods...I mashed up some veggies and he couldn't eat it, the pieces weren't too chunky but sometimes he will swallow it easily, other times he really has trouble. Maybe he doesn't like my cooking lol. Could it be because he's being fussy? It makes me a bit nervous to give him what me and my partner have to eat incase he chokes.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default what is your 6 month old eating and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty33 View Post
    Thanks everyone I am a bit behind...what does BLW mean? I'm finding with my boy he's gagging on chunkier foods...I mashed up some veggies and he couldn't eat it, the pieces weren't too chunky but sometimes he will swallow it easily, other times he really has trouble. Maybe he doesn't like my cooking lol. Could it be because he's being fussy? It makes me a bit nervous to give him what me and my partner have to eat incase he chokes.
    BLW is baby led weaning. Basically it's about giving bubs food that you would eat, so nothing puréed. Just normal food. Gagging is a normal part of the process as bubs is exploring food and their normal gag reflex prevents the food going down the wrong way. Choking of course is bad. They do say that bubs that have been spoon fed do gag a lot when chunks are introduced because they suck the food off the spoon and therefore inhale the chunk. With blw as they do it themselves they self regulate what and how they eat.

I wish I had of done blw with my first too as its such an easy way of eating. Also when we go out I don't have to bring food with me...she tries whatever we have. And it's surprising what she she loves. Like for tea tonight she had chops with steamed fingers of carrots, zucchini and broccoli with strawberries for desert. All stuff that she can hold and she loves it! Have a look at Gil Rapleys book baby led weaning or do a search for it on the net.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    that's exactly what he does!!!- sucks the food off the spoon. ill definitely look for that book. thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was thinking today i wonder if im feeding ds correctly.. I give 210ml formula then an hour later he gets fruit apple for belly about 4 tablespoons. im sure he would eat more than that but i just stop at that..may be wrong? Lunch is Same formula then 4tablespoons vege like carrot or pumpkin and dinner is the same. no meats yet.He had been on solids for a couple of months now just small bits like thisSometomes he misses lunch all together of he is tired i just fo milk then bed.I have no idea and now i think im under feeding him reading this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    I was thinking today i wonder if im feeding ds correctly.. I give 210ml formula then an hour later he gets fruit apple for belly about 4 tablespoons. im sure he would eat more than that but i just stop at that..may be wrong? Lunch is Same formula then 4tablespoons vege like carrot or pumpkin and dinner is the same. no meats yet.He had been on solids for a couple of months now just small bits like thisSometomes he misses lunch all together of he is tired i just fo milk then bed.I have no idea and now i think im under feeding him reading this...
    What does he do when you are finished? I did BLS with both mine, and yep some days they wanted nothing and other days they wanted lots. If you go by their signs you should be ok, don't pressure them to eat if they have had enough. Have you tried foods that he can feed himself?