+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default :-) ah yes those

This is funny! We have them in Italy in really old buildings, DH came back to get me... brought me in front of said toilet promptly asked if that was indeed the toilet then asked for a lesson on mode of use and proceeded to take a picture! I think he was pretty amused!About the clothes getting messed up, they are pretty much all behind you as the squatting brings your **bits** forward anyway you can also try the half standing position (my fav) so you dont get too close to the yucky stuff.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    But what if you can't do it with flat feet? I fall over backwards if I try to crouch low with flat feet like DD does! I just don't think I have the flexibility in my feet/ ankles. I might just be able to do it if my feet were miles apart, but then I'm not sure I could go to the toilet in that position!

How did you retrain yourself?
    There is a position in yoga that may help its called 'Hindi squat.' Perhaps you could practice it. I'm totally serious btw.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-09-2012),halloweendee  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    There is a position in yoga that may help its called 'Hindi squat.' Perhaps you could practice it. I'm totally serious btw.
    Haha - well, I just tried it. And I can do it! Buuut... my bum is a bit too close to my feet for my liking. Even in the photo I worry that if she would get her feet if she were to wee 'forwards' - because... y'know... you can't always control the direction of things...

I thought that to use those toilets you had to master this kind of position. (Photo is of random child I found on internet).

images.jpg

But even then it still looks dangerous to me.

The problem is, it's something I guess you just need to try, but the stakes of getting it wrong are way too high...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gees the cord on her pants is in a really unfortunate position there, right?!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-09-2012),halloweendee  (18-09-2012),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (19-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went to Japan, I failed at these toilets...

I ended up leaning into the wall, hopping on one foot as I would just spray it all out of the pit...

I started to put toilet paper over my bits to stop the spray, but it was still a fail.

All this failing in a skirt might I add!!

In the end, a (male) friend informed me that the disabled toilets are Western type loos, and I just stuck to those from then on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

How did you retrain yourself?

Every time I go overseas I think "Right! This is the time! I will use a squat toilet!" And then chicken out at the last minute and go to one of the western ones
    You're lucky if the places you go always have the western toilet option!

Don't wait 'til you get over there, do some practising at home. Try squatting where you can grab hold of a chair or table leg, start off on the balls of your feet and then while holding on, lower your heels to the ground. It will be uncomfortable, so you have to persist. Eventually you'll be able to squat flat-footed without holding on .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha - they don't! But I'm great at holding on/ exiting the toilets and then going to somewhere that does.

In Moscow that meant buying a lot of cups of tea in nice looking restaurants, as they tended to have them. (But, weirdly, not in the super fancy shopping centres... I even chose dodgy non flushing portaloos if I could, as I was too scared of squatting toilets).

In Japan we found them pretty much everywhere we went.

Mixed in Malaysia, but managed to track them down.

Thailand - I did have to use one once, but I was wearing a bikini, and it was on a floating village then back on the boat/ in the river, so I was less erm worried about clothes/ accidents than I would be in full clothes/ somewhere more dressy.

Hong Kong - easy, they're everywhere.

Bosnia - this was the hardest! One day spent driving around, and rejecting many toilets before ending up at a hotel.

I'd probably explode if I went to rural China.

I am soooo practising before we next go anywhere with these toilets!

I have tried while DD is in the bath, and I squat next to it (flat footed) holding on to the bath. I fall over backwards as soon as I let go though. This is why I fear those toilets may be dangerous for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we went to KL last year I had to try and help my DD (5) with squatting over this disgusting 'toilet' and lets just say, both her shoes and my shoes ended up in wee, lol.

Ive been to Bali 5 times and only once have I come across a squat toilet. Needless to say, I managed to hold on till I got back to the city, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarberry View Post
    When we went to KL last year I had to try and help my DD (5) with squatting over this disgusting 'toilet' and lets just say, both her shoes and my shoes ended up in wee, lol.

Ive been to Bali 5 times and only once have I come across a squat toilet. Needless to say, I managed to hold on till I got back to the city, lol.
    Haha - that's exactly what I know will happen if I use one! And I don't even want to think about if I'm wearing jeans...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it the same as squatting for a bush wee or more complex? I can do those, as long as I'm not busting I can stay dry too!