+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Spin off* Squat toilets... How do you do it?

Okay, at the risk of derailing another thread, I thought I'd start a new one all about... erm... toilets.

So... Asian style squatting toilets. I travel a lot in Asia, and it would be really handy to know how to use them, but I'm too scared to try!

I need details.. how do you do it?

I cannot squat really low to the ground while keeping my heels on the ground. I have Japanese friends that can do that all day. DD does it! But I read somewhere that we lose that ability around 9 years old, IF we don't do it regularly.

So, if I squat LOW (as in, near the ground, NOT an exercise type of squat) then it's a wobbly heels up affair, where my bum is directly over my heels - NOT good for those types of toilet.

So exactly how do you position yourself?

Aaand... what about your clothes? How do you avoid getting them?

They had those toilets in Moscow, and I saw very well dressed ladies in stillettoes and skinny jeans going in there. I have no idea how. Do you have to take all your clothes off???

Thank you, if you can help with my very important questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I squat on my toes - I'm better balanced this way, resting elbows on thighs, ensuring all clothing is lifted up around my waist - I think I only use these loos when I have a skirt or dress on...

I'm mega quick too.

I don't squat low either.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-09-2012),trishalishous  (19-09-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I squat with my feet flat on the floor (well...on either side of the squat toilet, where the foot grids are). Squatting with flat feet allows proper elimination, meaning less bowel issues and less chance of UTI's. It's easier to use while wearing skirts, but i'm a pro at it now so I can do it with jeans etc too. The tricky part for me is the washing from the Mandi (using Indonesia word here...i'm not sure what they call it in other parts).

I could sit in that position all day, I find it really comfortable, but I have been using squat toilets for a loooong time (we lived in Indo when I was younger). It's actually much better for the body to eliminate in that position - my chiropractor raves about squat toilets

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-09-2012),Rbottom  (19-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't worked out yet which way to face but I found they were not too hard to use in Asia ,just remember to take your own toilet paper as they don't usually have any and most require a bucket of water to flush which can be a bit gross as the pail is sometimes floating in a tub of water. Tinkle slowly too so you don't get too much splash lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-09-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    it freaks me out touching the ladle or hose...yuk.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol Girl X, I used to be like you and had to be up on my toes. You can re-train yourself though. I go to China quite a bit, so I had to learn.

I find it most comfortable to do the low squat with my feet turned outwards at approx 45 deg angle, bum close to heels, feet kept flat and leaning slightly forward with the underside of my upper arms resting on my knees (as if you were trying to get your kneecaps into your armpits). My knees are about a shoulder-width apart.

Agree with PPs, much easier with skirts/dresses. Unfortunately my job requires trousers so I have to be careful- I don't want the hems touching the floor, nor do I want to spray pee on them! I usually pull down the waistband to just behind my knees, then bunch up the trouser bottoms a little bit, then assume the low squat position as above.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I squat with my feet flat on the floor (well...on either side of the squat toilet, where the foot grids are). Squatting with flat feet allows proper elimination, meaning less bowel issues and less chance of UTI's. It's easier to use while wearing skirts, but i'm a pro at it now so I can do it with jeans etc too. The tricky part for me is the washing from the Mandi (using Indonesia word here...i'm not sure what they call it in other parts).

I could sit in that position all day, I find it really comfortable, but I have been using squat toilets for a loooong time (we lived in Indo when I was younger). It's actually much better for the body to eliminate in that position - my chiropractor raves about squat toilets
    But what if you can't do it with flat feet? I fall over backwards if I try to crouch low with flat feet like DD does! I just don't think I have the flexibility in my feet/ ankles. I might just be able to do it if my feet were miles apart, but then I'm not sure I could go to the toilet in that position!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonDesert View Post
    Lol Girl X, I used to be like you and had to be up on my toes. You can re-train yourself though. I go to China quite a bit, so I had to learn.

I find it most comfortable to do the low squat with my feet turned outwards at approx 45 deg angle, bum close to heels, feet kept flat and leaning slightly forward with the underside of my upper arms resting on my knees (as if you were trying to get your kneecaps into your armpits). My knees are about a shoulder-width apart.

Agree with PPs, much easier with skirts/dresses. Unfortunately my job requires trousers so I have to be careful- I don't want the hems touching the floor, nor do I want to spray pee on them! I usually pull down the waistband to just behind my knees, then bunch up the trouser bottoms a little bit, then assume the low squat position as above.
    How did you retrain yourself?

You have no idea of the positions I'm assuming while reading this thread!

One day... squat toilet... I will be victorious!

Every time I go overseas I think "Right! This is the time! I will use a squat toilet!" And then chicken out at the last minute and go to one of the western ones..

Thanks
    Reviews
    we travel to thailand and laos a lot and i've mastered using a squat toilet wearing an ankle length skirt, long long hair (down to my butt!) whilst holding a drink

you walk in, turn around, pull down your undies and then squat slightly backwards. you don't have to be flat on your feet, you can squat on the balls of your feet fine. at first i found putting my palms up against the wall a bit easier to steady me (still do it the odd occasion i have been drinking ) and pee/poop.

if they have paper wipe yourself and put it in the bin (don't ever flush the paper) but it is actually nicer to use the hose sprayer (just point and spray) or the little pot of water. you have to lean back with the water pot a little, sometimes i just throw it up 'under' iykwim.

pour small buckets of water into the toilet to 'flush' it. it is so hot and humid over there that you dry instantly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hose sprayers definitely scare me. For years I thought they were for cleaning the toilets, and when I realised it was like "Ohhh! Arghhhh!!!!"

I know that there would be no way I could avoid spraying all of my clothes, and having to do the walk of shame out of the cubicle...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post

you walk in, turn around, pull down your undies and then squat slightly backwards.
    see, i thought you go in , don't turn around, and then squat. - the angle of the loo then matches better.