+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any country/rural ladies going through IVF?

Hi all, I'm wondering if there are any country/rural ladies who are going through IVF? We're about to start and I'm trying to get my head around how it will work when we live 4 hours from the city where we have to go for treatments. I'd love to chat to other country ladies on how you managed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nat
    I went through an IVF cycle in April/May this year, luckily our first cycle ended in a BFP! I live about 6 hours away from where our FS was. Basically what happened with me was, referred to FS at end of Nov 11, had first appointment early Dec 11 (tests were undertaken at this time, sperm, blood, scans etc), then Christmas time... went back in January 12 for results. He recommended I have a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy which I had in Feb 12. Had another appointment a week later to discuss our ART options, we decided to go with IVF instead of IUI as an increased chance of success for our circumstances. I had a phone appointment with a Fertility Nurse (about 1-2 hours), to discuss the whole procedure. When AF came in March 12 I went on BCP for a month (Easter Time! & FS was on holidays), I had very irregular cycles, and they need the timing right. I stopped BCP and started injecting FSH April 12. They sent out all my medications to me via courier (happened to be an esky on a greyhound bus, but hey!) The FN packed it really well so that everything stayed cool overnight. The meds came with really clear instructions and DVD's which showed how to inject, and they were really, really good. They arranged for my scan at a closer centre (Day 7) (this one only an hour & half from home!), the scan place sent through the reports, the FN rang to say how things were going (number of follicles, any changes to meds) after FS checked the reports. For the actual EPU and transfer, I needed to be down there for five days. I could choose the five that suited us best, I choice a Monday check up with FS (he scanned me again) (Day 11), Wednesday EPU (Day 13) and Friday Transfer (Day 15). (I wasn't able to travel home on the Friday though, they didn't want me to spend so long in a car after the transfer). I got a heap of support medication & pregnancy test to have on the specified day (Day 29). When I had the test, and it was BFP, they arranged for a blood test at the centre that was an hour and a half away to confirm. They sent me all further medications by mail, or arranged with pharmacy to deliver. I had my next appointment with FS about 7/8 weeks to check HB etc, and another at 11/12 weeks for NT scan. He was a wonderful Dr, but unfortunately only looks after ladies for the first 12 weeks.
    Anyway, that is my story I hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good Luck & Baby Dust to you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Della77 For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, this is my 4th time in doing this trying for baby#3. I have scan and bloods tomorrow for transfer of our remaining embryo early next week, all going well.
    I live 2,700kms from the city or a 23hr continuous drive.
    It has had it's challenges. Usually it's the bloods getting to Perth being delayed as the planes only fly certain days but I worked that out eventually and now know the schedule. I have travelled to the clinic for initial appointments and some scans along the way but have had drugs sent to me and just have a good relationship with the clinic, they sympathise with the distance and are terrific.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Della77! That is a GREAT help and gives me an idea of what can be done so that's great to hear. I am an hour and a half away from a bigger centre for scans etc too so I might be very similar circumstances to you. I've been worried about juggling work with the days away etc but I'll just have to work it out. I have plenty of acrued sick days available, it's just a matter of finding a replacement. But with some notice hopefully it will be okay. I hadn't thought of not travelling on the day of transfer. Something to keep in mind for sure...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I live just over 1500km (or around 16hour continuous drive) from my clinic in Perth (or a much easier 2 hour flight!). It definitely has its difficult moments being so far away. I think IVF is such a difficult tithing to go through anyway, but living such a distance from the clinic makes it even more difficult. As kimberleygal said, the bloods drive me nuts! Especially when your blood test is on a Friday and so you can't get the results til Monday! I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive clinic who is very good with their country patients.

I found being a country patient you really need to think ahead...be proactive when it comes to ringing clinic to have extra blood forms sent or scripts faxed to pharmacy so drugs can be ordered in before you run out etc. then there is the issue of not just being able to 'pop down to the clinic' for transfers etc. having to get a few days off at short notice to travel down etc. in saying that though, I know no different so this is just how IVF is to me. I often think how much easier it would be though to be near the clinic though. I don't think IVF gets any easier the more you do it, however you know what to expect and can therefore get used to when you have to phone the clinic to tell them what you need etc.

I have had 3 unsuccessful attempts. Waiting to see FS end of November for a review to see if he suggests anything or if it's just been 'bad luck'. Until then I can't cycle as will be in the middle of whoop whoop travelling the country on holidays.

I wish you all the best, when are you looking to start IVF?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nat, I just took a weeks leave from work. I'm sure I could have applied for sick leave, but I took annual, as it was nobody else's business what I do on my holiday time, so I didn't need any medical certificates! I live in South West Qld. I thought my distance was bad enough, but you ladies in WA are a REALLY long way away. We have no flights available, so all travel was by car... of course it is only about a fifth of the distance.
    Oh, I also meant to say that I was on a BH thread for my cycle (great support ), but, it did seem other ladies were having a few more blood tests... scans too I think. I just took it on faith that my FS knew what he was doing, and it did all work out fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Della77 For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much! You have made me feel okay about this process from a country area. I only have a short distance to travel compared to some of you so if it's possible for you, it's possible for me!! We have our first appointment tomorrow to discuss the options etc. This is being held an hour and a half from home but apparently it's the only one that will be. After that I go to the city. We have 'unexplained infertility' and have had laparoscopy etc to check things out so I figure that means we should be up to actually starting IVF fairly soon.

DH has freaked out a bit today and wondering if he wants to go through with it now. This has made me today so I'm feeling a bit rubbish about it all. He was even keener than me to keep pursuing TTC up until now so I don't know if it's the IVF that has freaked him, the overwhelming process or what. Stressed now though....

Oh well, onwards and upwards....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Nat! It is a stressful decision to make. I had my first two sons without any treatments... it did take a while, but we got there in the end. I didn't think I would need IVF, I just thought I needed a few pills to help me ovulate regularly... how naive! We both really wanted another child and the expert advice to us was, that this was our best option. I think my DH was a bit surprised ! at first, and re-thought the whole thing, but decided to support me and my (our) desire to have another child... love him to bits! Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,
    i live in Sharkbay. About 9 or 10hours drive. I found concept clinic in subiaco, Perth brilliant. They are very accommodating and understand the distance well. I found Sharkbay silver chain not too good. Lost bloods etc. so I go to Perth for every blood test and of course all the ivf procedures. I find just staying in Perth the way to go. My husband comes down to Perth for 2days when he needs to give his deposit! It's hard being away from dh for 3-4weeks but easier for me to stay in one place for the whole cycle.

Wishing you all the best of luck!
    krystle

TTC may 2009
    miscarriage 11weeks (fetus positive wolf parkinsons) October 2010
    DH diagnosed balanced reciprocal translocation chromosome 2 and 3 December 2010
    genetic counselling commenced dec 2010
    Started ivf with cgh planning January 2012
    IVF # 1 July 2012 BFN
    IVF #2 about to start October 2012