+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My experience was pretty similar to all these previous posts. I had GD diet controlled with my DS he came 10 days early, but was 2750 so not big at all really. he was with me most of the time only taking him for the heal pricks I think every three hours, he had good readings each time and within 24 hours they stopped doing them. I was told to try to express and store in syringes in the fridge. It was a hard task but I managed a few syringes of around 1.5mls. newborns don't need much to fill their little tummys so that was enough to get us through. I was pretty adamant that I did not want formula at all if possible and that I wanted to BF only. the syringes worked a treat. Be strong, it is your bub and the midwives don't really care what happens to you after you leave, make sure you make the choices that are right for you and your bub.
    Good luck! and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear ladies,

Thanks so much for your replies/advice etc.

I saw my OB yesterday and asked him all the questions about my baby when he's born. I am so glad that he said my baby will get to be with me in my room and I can feed him (if formula supplementation is needed) with a syringe. At least now I feel that things are more within my control. That horrible midwife made me feel really terrible and worried. I hope I wont see her in the hospital.

My baby is now about 2.7kg and I have 3-4 weeks more to go, so OB says he is of good reasonable weight. Let's hope my GD can continued to be diet-controlled and he can born without much sugar issues.

Thanks for all your help!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mom2TwoDSs For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best thing to do is to express colostrum from 36 weeks and freeze it in syringes, to give to bub asap after birth. A friend of mine did that so that no formula had to be used (family issues with allergies so didn't want to use formula).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2OneDS View Post
    Dear ladies,Thanks so much for your replies/advice etc.I saw my OB yesterday and asked him all the questions about my baby when he's born. I am so glad that he said my baby will get to be with me in my room and I can feed him (if formula supplementation is needed) with a syringe. At least now I feel that things are more within my control. That horrible midwife made me feel really terrible and worried. I hope I wont see her in the hospital.My baby is now about 2.7kg and I have 3-4 weeks more to go, so OB says he is of good reasonable weight. Let's hope my GD can continued to be diet-controlled and he can born without much sugar issues.Thanks for all your help!
    I'm so happy you have a supportive OB! It really does make all the difference. Good luck with the birth and your hospital stay I'm sure it will be wonderful x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    The best thing to do is to express colostrum from 36 weeks and freeze it in syringes, to give to bub asap after birth. A friend of mine did that so that no formula had to be used (family issues with allergies so didn't want to use formula).
    Hi Magneto, I really wish I could do that. I am almost 37 weeks but I havent managed to get anything at all when I tried in the shower. Hopefully as the weeks go on, it will come. Or I hope the colostrum will come in quickly when bubs born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is t it funny that nipple confusion is a Problem if you choose to formula feed and breastfeed, but when they won't you to bottle feed it won't be a problem. I think it sounds like you at standing your ground and getting all the answers you need. Well done nd good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    (In the states) I had GD with my son and he was in the room with us the whole time. I chose to breastfeed and the staff accomodated that perfectly. Giving him a bottle wasnt even suggested after they knew we were breastfeeding.
    There is a high possibility that this pregnancy will have GD too, (early tests have already indicated high levels) and now that I've read your post, I'm a bit concerned.
    We don't want our baby taken off to the nursery and bottle fed, regardless of what the midwives want - so how do others handle that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i also had gd controlled by diet...my son was born 4 weeks early (not induced) and was under the card of the special care nursery but was with me in my room the whole time...they came to me to check his sugar levels...didnt need to leave at all. also i breast fed straight away with no drama from him or staff