+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gestational Diabetes - Baby will be in special nursery first 24 hours - Questions

I have been diagnosed with GD since 28 weeks. Been sugar monitoring and so far levels have been under controlled with proper diet. At the moment 36 weeks and baby is about 2kg+ (going to do next grown scan tomorrow).

I am wondering what's going to happen when my baby boy arrives. Just spoke to the midwife and still feeling a bit hazy about it.

Midwife told me bub will be brought to the special nursery for 24 hours after birth and have heel pricks (Oh that breaks my heart!).

Do you ladies know how many times baby will be subject to those heel pricks?

How many of you had your babies on formula in the first 24 hours due to your GD?

Do you get to have baby with you in the first 24 hours?

Midwife also says baby will be formula fed if sugar readings arent good. I asked her if they will use bottle or syringe, as I struggled with low supply all the way for my DS1, I really did not want baby to use bottle in case of nipple confusion, and I hope he can nurse on demand to establish my supply (though I certainly see that he may need comp feeding due to my GD and milk not coming in yet). Midwife was quite stern and said bottle and baby wont be nipple confused. I hope so!

Have you had your GD babies bottle-fed in the first 24 hours and nursed fine thereafter? Did you resort to expressing in that time? I hope this wont ruin my chance of establishing my milk supply, esp when he wont be with me right at the beginning, and he will be formula-fed. Will he be too full and too sleepy or confused to nurse?

I want to do what is best for him but I want to be prepared as much as I can so that we can be successful with this bfg this time.

Thanks for your sharing and advice/suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes - Baby will be in special nursery first 24 hours - Questions

I haven't any experience with all this but it sounds like rubbish to me! Why can't he breastfeed? I'm sure the lovely ladies on here will have some good advice for you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew has just been born and whilst his mum didn't have GD they took the same precautions with him as he was over 4.5kg. I think he had heel pricks every hour or 2, didn't seem to bother him at all. They still BF him but supplement fed him as well when his BS was low, it was fine once his mum's milk started coming through but the colostrum didn't have enough in it for him to keep his BS up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ppphhheewww.

The hospital that I did my mid prac in, bubs only went to special care nursery if their sugar levels were under a certain level. Heel pricks were done at 1 hour post birth then either 3 hourly or 4 hourly (sorry its been ages since I was on prac). But basically its really important to get an awesome first feed before that heel prick at 1 hour. Start trying to express now, so you can have some EBM to top up at birth. If bubs sugar levels are low or remain low, then they will recommend to top up with formula, but make sure you voice whether you want bottle or syringe. there is no reason why they cant give you a syringe if thats what you want.

I know your in Vic, but we have publicly available statewide guidelines in QLD so maybe try and get your hands on the Victorian equivalent to find out exactly what the policy is for babies of GDM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (17-09-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (17-09-2012),Smurfberrylizard  (25-09-2012)

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmmm... my understanding is that it's only if your baby is born with low blood sugar that they will be in special care?? And not all babies of mothers with GD are born with low blood sugar. If you have good control, particularly at the end, then bubs should be fine.

I had GD with DD, and have it again now. With DD, she had heal pricks every few hours in the first 48 hours and she was with me the whole time. She only went to special care when she developed jaundice, or if she had low blood sugar (which she didn't). I was able to breastfeed her and also top up feeds with expressed colostrum.

This pregnancy (which I am nearing the end of, thank goodness!!) I have been told that bubs will be with me the whole time unless she has low blood sugar, and that like wannawannabe says, it's really important to give a good first feed 30 mins after birth. The hospital have also given me a hand expressing kit of sterile containers and syringes in which I've had to hand express colostrum since 36 weeks and store in the freezer. This is so they can give top ups between feeds to raise blood sugars if they are low.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Made in England For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (17-09-2012),Smurfberrylizard  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with both pregnancies. First time insulin, second diet only.
    Both times in special care. But in my room most of the time. Heel pricks every 3 hours until 3 good readings in a row. My first had no formula top up just expressed colostrum and was fine. Second had to have formula, mainly in mini bottles as she was prem and I was given no choice, but she is a brilliant feeder (10 weeks now) and I had low supply with first too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shoegirl For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for your sharing and advice. The thing that really bothered me is what the midwife said about giving the bottle rather than syringe and she was really stern when she said that. I am concerned about nipple confusion, not baby getting FM. Hopefully the midwives I meet when I am warded will be really kind and understanding.

From what you ladies say, I get to feed baby FM myself? If so, I certainly will use the syringe. I am packing some. If I get that midwife and if she does it in the nursery, I bet she will use the bottle.

I am 36 weeks, no a bit of colostrum atm. Been reading up a lot and asking a lot of questions on bfg to prepare myself. Hoping to TBF this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I had GD with my second bub (diet controlled) She was born via C-sect and was only taken to SCU for the test to see her sugar levels she was maybe gone an hour and then came straight in for a feed they took her again after the feed to check again for about 1.5hrs but that was it it also gave me a bit of time to rest. But no bottle and the FOB was with her the whole time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience was my son was taken to scu with DH, he was fed by bottle at first the colostrum I had expressed then formula. I was on insulin, he only had one low reading. He was in scu till the morning. I had a c-section too and he was little only 3kg.

Next time around if I have it again I will be alot more forceful and say no bottle only cup or sringe. I will also be pushing for baby to return after the good reading. I think they kept him in scu as I couldn't move anyway. But I will be pushing for breastfeeding more. My son fed well no attachment issues just no milk, it never came in. Even after expressing alot.

Good luck be firm and let both your doc, pediatrician and hubby know no bottle feeding. Maybe ask for the nursing manager so you can let him or her know too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with my DS1 diet controlled, he came 17 days early, naturally. I had GD with my DS2, needed insulin at night as my fasting levels were too high. I was never told any of this information. I am in Western Australia. Both bubs had a couple of heel pricks in first few hours and both had jaundice, however they weren't sent to special care straight away. I would probably speak to another midwife, unfortunatley some are very set in their ways and aren't open to change, but its your pregnancy, your bub, your body so don't settle for less.