+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Finger foods for an 8 month old

DD is 8 months old and I'm looking to start giving her finger food. She's had the odd piece of toast or banana here and there but I'm absolutely terrified of her chocking!! She is eating lumpy veg and meats (beef, chicken, fish) for dinner.

So my question is, what would you recommend I start with? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start with soft things if you're concerned about choking, DD has sandwich fingers, quiche, the very occasional arrowroot bickie. She hates veggie sticks but loves strips of meat, steak, chicken, roast pork.
    She also loves mini muffins, cheese zucchini and bacon are her current fave and crumpets or french toast with maple syrup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My MCHN today recommended to start on things like cruskits, toast, soft veggies. My DS only likes things quite pureed at the moment so I'm trying to broaden his textural horizons.
    I'm no longer pureeing food so much, more using a fork to mash it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

hipney  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 8 months they can eat whatever you are having. Just cut into appropriate size for them to pick up.. Remember that it is normal and expected for them to gag as they learn to chew and move food around in their mouth and difficult as it feels it is important for them to do that and for you not to overreact when they do. Gagging is different to chocking.

We started with crackers with dips - vita wheats or rice crackers are good with hummus, or cream cheese, they can just lick the topping off to start with, and then quickly introduced things like:
    toast with different toppings
    fruit - banana, kiwi, melon, strawberries... mango is now coming into season as is watermelon
    Pizza fingers (toast with a little covering of tomato paste, cheese and any other topping you want to add)
    mini muffins - banana, apple, blueberry or carrot are all great
    steamed veggies like carrot, broccoli, cauliflower
    roasted veg fingers - sweet potato, pumpkin
    pancakes, french toast, croissants are all good for breakfast

Really anything that you would eat they can have, the more variety the better.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

babyla  (17-09-2012),hipney  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also soft pieces of steamed fish, egg and meatballs broken up into tiny pieces. I used to place these small pieces along the highchair table- didn't bother with a plate at first I would avoid hard items at that age (just for a bit longer) and stick with softer foods, such as mince and soft fish.
    Last edited by littleriv; 17-09-2012 at 16:52. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your suggestions. We've tried a few and all going well