+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havent had a blood test to confirm pregnancy with either of mine. My Dr said the same as yours - a positive HPT is enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now i think of it when i fell pregnant last year i had a blood test to confirm the pregnancy (i had a miscarriage) but i went to the same doctor when i fell pregnant again at the staart of this year and i wasnt given one - But this bub is very healthy and only 7 weeks to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was just as surprised as you OP. I got my BFP on Monday, went to GP on Tues and she said the same thing about there being no need for a blood tests to confirm and just gave me the forms to get antenatal bloods done and to book in for a dating scan in a few weeks (she didn't actually specify what week just not to do it to early). With DD1 I had a blood tests for preg BUT a HPT showed neg for pregnancy but I went to my GP anyway because I just 'felt pregnant'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had a blood pregnancy test for one of my pregnancies (4th pregnancy, 3rd live birth). That doctor was super through though and tested for heaps of stuff other doctors haven't. It's how I found out I'm not Immune to chicken pox and that it's a miracle DH and I have ever had kids (conflicting rare antibodies - not rh ones).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had blood tests to confirm either of my pregnancies. He took the two hpt's as confirmation.

Sometimes they do bloods to test your hcg levels, I think if unsure on dates and if everything is progressing.

i had two lots done early with this pregnancy to check my hcg levels were increasing but that is because I suffered a miscarriage last year.

in regards to early scans my dr told me it is best to wait until 8 weeks if you can because if heartbeat is good then, you have more chance of the pregnancy being successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had a blood test with my second and third at 11 weeks to confirm my pregnancy. I didn't even go to my gp until I was nearly 7 weeks with my third and then it was because I needed a script for maxalon. Otherwise I just would have waited until 8 weeks and organised things for tje NT scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was pg fairly recently and I didn't get blood tested either!! I thought it was weird too but apparently it's normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people may not get a blood test but since others do (like I did) I would go to another doc for the test. If you know it's available for ressuarance why wouldn't you get it done...just a thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BTW the blood test not only confirms the pregnancy but tells you your hcg level and sometimes your progesterone level.