+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No blood test?

Hi
    I have just been to the doctor to confirm my pregnancy. I had a positive home pregnancy test on Friday night. She said that I don't need to have a blood test because home pregnancy tests are so accurate these days. Is this normal practice now? When I fell pregnant with my DS two years ago I had a blood test to confirm the pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had s blood test to confirm any of my pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default No blood test?

They usually do a blood test to confirm the preg and to screen for a heap of other preg related things

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had a blood test around 3 weeks ago to confirm pregnancy and they also test for any diseases you may be carrying that can harm the baby or blood problems like hiv etc... i would be asking if you are going to be tested for any of these...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default No blood test?

With both of my pregnancies I had blood test done, even though I had positive pregnancy tests. Along with confirming my pregnancy my doctor also like to check vitamin levels and lots of other things.

I would definitely be asking for a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I should have said in my first post that the doctor has given me the form to get the screen done sometime before my first ob appointment but no test to actually confirm the pregnancy as such. I thought pregnancy was always confirmed officially by a blood test but I guess things are changing. Not that I mind. One less blood test is always welcome

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first 3 were not confirmed by blood test

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't need a blood test. Not to confirm pregnancy anyway - home tests are accurate if you follow the instructions.

We go to a drop in type place, so that you don't have to make appointments. When I was first pregnant, we went there and the first doctor I saw ordered a blood test "to confirm whether you are pregnant". When I went back for the results, the second doctor (who seemed to have much more of an idea what he was talking about) was surprised, and said it was completely unnecessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother and SIL did not have bloods to confirm their pregnancy..

My Dr is an idiot who I am sure has no idea which end a baby comes out of, ordered bloods for me.

But you have so many fricken bloods taken in the first trimester, unless you are someone who would give off a 'false positive' (ivf or something I think) then you don't really need to have bloods. The HPT is official :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was given a blood test to measure the pregnancy hormone levels which would give an accurate indication of how many weeks i was. My gp then did another pregnancy test and tested my urine ph levels.
    I also got full bloods to check iron levels and blood type.
    I then got another blood test at 12 weeks
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 17-09-2012 at 12:00.