+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Whining puppy!

We got an 8 week old Dalmatian pup on Saturday and while I expected some whining, this puppy dog has literally NOT stopped since we picked him up, he is sitting on my lap now but still whining!! He does it while eating and drinking, I know this cos he won't eat or drink unless I am in the room. He even does it in his sleep??! He has plenty of toys, a bed and blanket, a puppy kong with treats, we also have another dog but this doesn't comfort him at all. I feel so bad, he seems really sad, what can I do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Whining puppy!

Try giving him puppy milk from a baby bottle with a teat, sound like the puppy is missing his mum and litter mates :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has been taken away from his mum, brothers & sisters & the environment that he feels safe & secure in & he is terrified. It takes a while for puppies to adjust to their new surroundings & it needs to be done slowly. The biggest mistake people make (unintentionally of course) is overstimulating them with new sights, smells, new people, toys etc, your puppy probably won't play with the toys or even show interest in them until he's sure they don't pose a threat to him & when he settles in (i know it sounds silly, but a lot of puppies are scared of toys at first, especially squeaky toys)

The best advice i can give, & i tell all my patients this - is when you first get the puppy, to keep the puppy in a confined, quiet area with it's food, water & bedding & the only toy i would put in there is a soft toy - you can actually buy soft toys for puppies that have a 'heartbeat' & this can be very calming for them, & gradually introduce them to the rest of the house & toys. He will cry but ignore it until he is quiet & then pat/play/reassure him, otherwise you are reinforcing his insecurity, he needs to learn there is nothing to be afraid of. It is stressful but it should start to settle down in a week. If it doesn't you may need to contact your vet to rule out any possible medical issues, but of course if he starts showing signs of illness or pain, get him to the vet asap. Good luck & congrats on your new family member

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whining puppy!

Also 8 weeks is quite young. 10 to 12 weeks is more usual for rehoming, so he is a very little baby and could take some time to adjust. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we first got our dog she cried all day and night. I found some soft blankets and a soft blanket toy thing kept her a little bit calmer. I also spent a lot of time cuddling and reassuring her (I even took days off of work at first to be with her) and then when I started going out left the radio on so she could hear people.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whining puppy!

Thanks guys, he calmed down a bit when I put hi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    Thanks guys, he calmed down a bit when I put hi
    Whoops, didn't realise that sent, thanks DS.
    Well I took him to the vet this afternoon after noticing a really big lump on his neck, she said it is an infected abscess and needs surgery, he is really unwell poor little pup

Thanks for your advice.