+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help my son touched a broken cfl bulb :(

I'm freaking out a bit here does anyone know what to do if someone touches a compact fluorescent light bulb? You know those government energy saving ones?

Apparently they are dangerous if broken because they contain mercury. All websites I find say do not touch when broken but none say what to do if it's been touched.

My 7 year old broke his lamp and came into me with broken pieces in his hand :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    could try poisons info line...but wash hands well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You can call poisons information and they will tell you everything you need to know. I don't think it's an emergency type thing, wash the area. Mercury accumulates in the body so one exposure is " ok" but please ring poisons information.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies. The man from poisons said there's not enough mercury in those to be harmful and as long as he washed his hands and didn't get cut he will be ok.

I wonder why they say to air the room for 15 mins before cleaning then :/ my daughter was in the room when it happened and she's now coughing when she wasn't before. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by austmum View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The man from poisons said there's not enough mercury in those to be harmful and as long as he washed his hands and didn't get cut he will be ok.

I wonder why they say to air the room for 15 mins before cleaning then :/ my daughter was in the room when it happened and she's now coughing when she wasn't before. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them.
    They say to Air the room because the vapors accumulate and make it dangerous to enter and stay in the vicinity.
    When you do go into clean it DONT use the vacuum an DO put it In a sealed container clearly marked with Toxic:contains Mercury. Dot put it in the regular bin, ring the council and see what their procedure is
    Last edited by kezanazz; 16-09-2012 at 23:08.