+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Strange acts of kindness.

So I was just reading a blog and the 'suggested 50 acts of random kindness". All about helping other people and making life less about yourself etc.

After reading the title I thought "yep, inspiring, I shall read on!"

Then I read the acts to see which one I will do...

Break into a friends house and clean it for them.. wtf

Hand out food to the neighbours as they leave for work... I don't know where other people live, but I doubt anyone will take food off the lady running up and down the street and then actually eat it.

Hide money in a toy shop for a random child to spend.... I don't know why I have a problem with this one, I just do.

And so on...

So that got me thinking, how would you react if anyone did these types of acts for you? Any well meaning people who have really missed the mark when they have tried to help you out?

My only story is that MIL had her house painted by her inlaws while she was at work after mentioning she wanted it done but couldn't afford it. Well meaning yes.. but MIL was left with a horrible colour and a terrible DIY job done as fast as they could get it done so that it was a "surprise" when she got home . So then she really did have to find the money.. to fix it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Strange acts of kindness.

I'd be pretty p!ssed if someone broke into my house to clean it. What an invasion of privacy!

I wouldn't take food from someone i didn't who. It could be all sorts of wrong!

Hiding money in a toy shop doesn't mean a child would find or even be allowed to spend it on a toy if they did. That ones definitely flawed!

They are really bizarre suggestions for random acts of kindness!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    So I was just reading a blog and the 'suggested 50 acts of random kindness". All about helping other people and making life less about yourself etc.

After reading the title I thought "yep, inspiring, I shall read on!"

Then I read the acts to see which one I will do...

Break into a friends house and clean it for them.. wtf

Hand out food to the neighbours as they leave for work... I don't know where other people live, but I doubt anyone will take food off the lady running up and down the street and then actually eat it.

Hide money in a toy shop for a random child to spend.... I don't know why I have a problem with this one, I just do.

And so on...

So that got me thinking, how would you react if anyone did these types of acts for you? Any well meaning people who have really missed the mark when they have tried to help you out?

My only story is that MIL had her house painted by her inlaws while she was at work after mentioning she wanted it done but couldn't afford it. Well meaning yes.. but MIL was left with a horrible colour and a terrible DIY job done as fast as they could get it done so that it was a "surprise" when she got home . So then she really did have to find the money.. to fix it!
    When FIL wanted to surprise us by cleaning out the garage.
    Lovely thought, but I kind of wanted to keep the archive boxes with photos and memory things.

The suggestions you quotes may have worked in a 'safer' time - nowadays you would be more likely to be arrested lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wonder of the hiding money in the toy shop for a child to spend means you'd include a note explaining it is meant to be spent by the child who finds it?

Otherwise surely a parent would make the child hand it into the management?

I can't believe anyone would advocate breaking into someone's house to clean it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    When FIL wanted to surprise us by cleaning out the garage.
    Lovely thought, but I kind of wanted to keep the archive boxes with photos and memory things.
    oh no! did you get them back?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I'd be pretty p!ssed if someone broke into my house to clean it. What an invasion of privacy!

I wouldn't take food from someone i didn't who. It could be all sorts of wrong!

Hiding money in a toy shop doesn't mean a child would find or even be allowed to spend it on a toy if they did. That ones definitely flawed!

They are really bizarre suggestions for random acts of kindness!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Agree! Plus if someone broke into my house to clean it, they would no longer be my friend haha. Maybe a better suggestion is to give a friend a cleaning voucher.. but then again they might also get insulted haha.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I wonder of the hiding money in the toy shop for a child to spend means you'd include a note explaining it is meant to be spent by the child who finds it?

Otherwise surely a parent would make the child hand it into the management?
    I would think that a worker is more likely to find it anyway, plus I would still pass it to management because I'd be scared someone creepy did that. (maybe i am just too cynical)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I saw the same post not long ago and i thought it was really strange too, a lot of them were just weird and I would be creeped out if people did them for me. I was in Safeway the other day and an old guy came up to me and handed me a packed of mini snickers and $2 to pay for them and pointed to my daughter meaning they were for her and walked off. We obviously dont eat them anyway but it really creeped me out!

Thanks
    Reviews

My family cleaned my house once from top to bottom while I was on holidays. There are no words to describe my horror. But I had to act pleased.