+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction.. Almost 40 weeks

I am 40 weeks in 2 days time (Tuesday), I have my next midwife appointment Wednesday. At my appt last wednesday I was 1-2cm dilated, almost full effaced and bub is all the way engaged. I've had two 'false labours' one was a week ago which was 15 hrs of contractions and then one was 2 days ago, about 4 hrs of contractions, then both eased off.

I know the hospital I'm going to don't like you to go over 40+ 10 and am starting to think about this. I really don't want an induction for the reasons of the cascade of intervention, harder labour, plus increased risk of jaundice that this brings as our bub potentially is at a higher risk anyway due to a genetic chromosomal linked disease (g6pd).

For those that have had to be induced due to post dates, was your cervix favourable at all prior to your due date? I was happy as I thought my stretch and sweep last week would work as my cervix was favourable but I'm starting to think ill be pregnant forever lol.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews

I was 40+10 and was induced, if I had my time over again I wouldn't be having an induction again.
    I had a S&S done the Friday and was induced on a Sunday. I have read on here that other woman have had S&Ss done a couple of times? Maybe ask if they can do another one?

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh yes sorry forgot to add that my middy already told me she will give me another on weds

Thanks
    Reviews

I've had 2 inductions post dates with a non favourable cervix.
    Most recently with DD. I had 2 lots of gel overnight and my waters were broken at 7am she arrived 1hr20mins later!
    Being you're already dialated they'll probably be able to break your waters straight up.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been inducted twice, first at 40 + 12 and second at 40 + 8. My cervix was not favourable either time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds exactly like me with DS Sarelou. I had contractions at 39 weeks lasting approx 8 hours. My mw did a s&s at 39+6 weeks and I was 2cm dilated. I had approx 8 hours of contractions again at 40 weeks and 40+3 weeks. Had another s&s at 40+8 and was 4cm dilated this time. Was induced at 40+9 weeks with ARM as I was already 5cm dilated by then! If I had my time over I would have definately pushed for a later induction in the hopes that DS decided himself when to arrive. I also think that had I had a couple more sessions of acupuncture it might have helped..
    Best of luck that it happens all on its own! I remember very well how it feels to feel like you are going to be pregnant forever.. Time starts going really slow and people were constantly asking me if I'd had the baby yet which starts to get a tad annoying. In hindsight though, those final weeks were such an exciting time full of so much anticipation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the sounds of things, i don't think you will have to wait until your 10 days over. I would try & avoid induction as well personally. With DD3 i was desperate not to be induced again but i was 6 days over & started developing PE so i had no choice, luckily that induction was fine (i was already 3cm dilated before the induction) with my other 2 inductions (35 weeks for PE & 39 weeks for GD) my body just wasn't ready (wasn't dilated at all etc) & the inductions were horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am not so against ARM more so the syntocin drip, should of said this in my original post. More contractions today so am keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to deal with it at all, but I think bub is way to comfy! Must be like its mum, doesn't want to get out of bed lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Hopefully it won't get to that point. My cervix was apparently "favourable" at 40+3. I had 3 stretch and sweeps by the time I was induced at 40+10. It was an awful experience ending in an emergency c-section. Those last days just really drag on don't they, and you do feel like you might be pregnant forever. If it comes to it, only you can decide if/when you want to be induced, but just remember your baby WILL arrive very, very soon. A matter of days! Enjoy the anticipation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've been so hormonal and cranky lol, but I'm trying really hard to just enjoy my last few days (hopefully!) of being pregnant.. I just hate the pressure of inductions, waters breaking etc it makes me stress out which I'm sure is not helping! I'm trying to rest a lot and also trying all the natural methods like walking, dtd, EPO, raspberry leaf tablets, 4wding lol. Come on baby!