+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Co-sleeping with a 6week old

Hi all,

I'm new to this so please forgive me if this post makes no sense!
    DD is 6 weeks old and has co-slept with me since birth, she is my third baby but the first I've slept with, it worked really well initially as I loved not physically getting up to feed her at night, now however I'm having some problems.
    She sleeps on her side and won't settle unless my boob is in her mouth (she's not really feeding most of the time just using it as her dummy) this means I'm also constantly laying on my side, unable to move and I've been getting the worst hip pain from sleeping in this position! My hips constantly hurt all day now! It's really disrupting my sleep now as I'm in pain from my sleeping position and continually helping her to re-attach so she'll settle.

So for the past few nights ive been trying to get her to sleep in her bassinet, which she will do during the day without a problem. But at night she goes crazy, screaming and getting so upset. DH and I try to settle her, by patting, singing, rocking the bassinet but nothing works and I will eventually give in and bring her into bed.

I'm scared now that because I've co slept with her for so long I won't ever get her sleeping in her bassinet. HELP

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hugs!

I don't think 6 weeks is long enough for any "habits" to have formed. Sounds like she just doesn't like the bassinet as much as next to you which is understandable. I know it's frustrating though. DS sleeps in our bed for a couple of hours each morning and I always have to sleep on my side and I find that painful!! Can't imagine doing it all night.

I can't see any solution apart from persevering... Perhaps try having her in the bed half the night and the bassinet the other for a while to "wean" her?

Good luck! xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Co-sleeping with a 6week old

I could just be a coincidence with timing. I found ALL of my kids played up at night at around 6weeks. That is when I taught them to self settle, and they started sleeping right through the night.
    All except baby no.4, she slept with me from birth, and only recently (last 6 to 12 mths) stays in her own bed. She is 10 yrs old!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bwana For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hi. I've used eliz pantley pull off method on both my girls successfully.

This is how I've been putting my 3mth old baby to sleep since birth for bedtime not day sleeps.

Bath/swaddle/big boob feed.
    Then I lay the baby on our bed in the middle and lie on my side to feed her whilst patting her in a rhythm on her thigh/bum. As she gets drowsy I pull boob out but keep patting her off. then after she is asleep I put her in the cot with the bra I've been using all day near her. If overnight it took more than 15min to put her asleep I just went to sleep with her.

Now after all her feeds overnight - I just feed/change/feed her and pat her to sleep then transfer her to the cot. I'm only just now putting her in her cot straight after a feed and patting her to sleep in there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

She is still so young and 100% dependent on you. It's not a habit that you have created, it's just her following her instincts to be with mummy.
    DD2 was the same. I just went with it, and eventually at about 6 months she moved into the cot of her own accord.
    With the hip pain, I found sleeping with the top leg bent at the knee and my body kind of turned so I'm not fully on my side but not on my tummy, with bub cradled in my arms.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (16-09-2012),bokkie_wotwot  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm happy having her in my bed some of the night, I actually really like it, it's just the hip pain, and her using me as a dummy that's the problem!!
    Gosh I really thought with my third baby it would be easy, lol.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD was just the same so I feel for you.
    DF slept on the sofa bed so I could swap sides in bed. I also have one of those long pillows that I used to tuck behind me sometimes to that I could lean back a bit on it rather than constantly be on my side. I've also got the advantage of saggy boobs so I could move around a bit. My DD never broke the habbit, she will be 2 in December and still pretty much insists on physical contact to go to sleep and throughout the night. She like to lie with her tummy on your outstretched arm with her knees tucked up underneath so her bottom is in the air and her head is turned to one side. It looks very uncomfy but she seems to like it.

YAH FOR SAGGY BOOBS!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol! Wishing I had some saggy boobs now, not tiny ones!
    DH doesn't sleep with me either so we have more room to feed, but he's getting a bit lonely now, so I'd like to get her into her bassinet for at least some of the night sooner rather than later!
    It's so hard though, I hate hearing her crying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it's dark outside and DD is currently sleeping in her bassinet! It's a good start to the night, fingers crossed it continues