+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Breastfeeding does not condemn a woman to be chained to her child. There is such a thing as expressing.
    I have never been much chop at expressing, plenty of milk but it was always such a struggle to get much.....and even though I tried every bottle on the market literally, none of my four kids would have a bar of ebm anyway.
    I think you have been pretty lucky if you have been successful at expressing and your child has been happy to have ebm. Not all of us have been so lucky.
    Cheers,
    Biscotti

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (16-09-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I think it's reasonable.

Some events aren't 'child' events. I don't get at all offended if an invitation is for grown ups only. There are family events and more adult events. Also, children do change the feel of a particular event, and sometimes people just want an evening to be adults only. I don't think it's offensive.
    I think she was saying that the posters attitude of "Some friends do say on invitations no babies/kids i just don't bother going!" gobsmacks her, not that people have events without children,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I think she was saying that the posters attitude of "Some friends do say on invitations no babies/kids i just don't bother going!" gobsmacks her, not that people have events without children,
    Ahhh... Gotcha. Well, in that case yes! I stand next to you gobsmacked too.

It's way past my bedtime... brain turned off ages ago...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Yes that's what I mean thankyou. I can't believe some parents totally dismiss social engagements if it says "no kids" on the invite.

And I know that some people struggle with expressing/babies taking bottles. I didn't have an "easy" time of it either. But I didn't like the PP's implication that breastfeeding mothers can't, or shouldn't, leave their child to go to social events. That's how breastfeeding gets a bad rap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont usually take DS to parties with us. Its a pain in the a$$ to be honest. I hate having to chase him around and not get a chance to relax. Thankfully grandparents or aunts are around to babysit.
    OP - i would say the host said to you to bring your child but didnt actually think you would. I hope he starts answering you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Totally agree with your post jennybaby. My ds did not take emb either and my dd was extremely anxious around anyone except dh and I so I would rather not attend evening events. It really depends on the what works for the individual. For me personally it's a small sacrifice bc kids do grow up so fast and soon they will be wanting to go out without us - it will be "no parents allowed"
    I agree with you too. I've taken mine to weddings and other parties but declined a party last night at a club because even though the hostess said I could bring DS2, it wasn't worth dragging him out to that type of venue. Especially since I got glared at for taking DS2 to a funeral last week. Some of us can't win!

OP...you couldn't win either but it does get easier to take them out...especially when they can enjoy the party too if there are other kids there. Good luck...I hope your friend gets over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    We dont usually take DS to parties with us. Its a pain in the a$$ to be honest. I hate having to chase him around and not get a chance to relax. Thankfully grandparents or aunts are around to babysit.
    OP - i would say the host said to you to bring your child but didnt actually think you would. I hope he starts answering you soon.
    Thank you yes he finally did. He was just sad I left early but he said he totally understood. He knew hubby was away so really I had no choice and not going was not an option "for him" he really wanted me there (he's a close family member) ....so you are right he probably did ask because he wanted me there and knew I wouldn't well couldn't go if bub couldn't come. Omg did that make sense.!!!

Anyhoo I know now that's for sure. No kids at all will be a no go zone for me. Plus I felt stupid with everyone focusing on me. Phew glad it's over

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks to all who replied. The different views and experiences were very interesting to read

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Yes that's what I mean thankyou. I can't believe some parents totally dismiss social engagements if it says "no kids" on the invite.

And I know that some people struggle with expressing/babies taking bottles. I didn't have an "easy" time of it either. But I didn't like the PP's implication that breastfeeding mothers can't, or shouldn't, leave their child to go to social events. That's how breastfeeding gets a bad rap.
    I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way!!!

I meant it as I bf I can settle them ANYWHERE and they will sleep. As in the hormones would send them off in a jiffy and they would sleep in the pram.

But personally - I will gladly express for ages for work purposes but point blank refuse to do additionally for social. If bub requires a feed during that time they come along. But if they don't..... Then they stay at home with DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what a terrible reaction and attitude your friend had to you, not very nice or understanding at all.

Personally I dont' take my boys out at night they are 2 years and 9 mths, they are in bed every night at 7pm and we have gotten a baby sitter for them (family members) if needed.

I took my first when he was 6 mths old to a wedding and he didn't stop crying (very shrill and pearcing!) and I didn't even get to eat my meal as we left!

I do have a family wedding early next year that both kids will need to be part of and I'm dreading it especially having two little ones.