+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I always took my daughter with me wherever I went. I went plenty of places. It was never an issue.

Then again, I never had people acting like self-righteous tossers telling me how to deal with her either. Nor did anyone throw a toddler tantrum over me leaving early if I had to.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I always took my daughter with me wherever I went. I went plenty of places. It was never an issue.

Then again, I never had people acting like self-righteous tossers telling me how to deal with her either. Nor did anyone throw a toddler tantrum over me leaving early if I had to.

yerp that

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

Everything your daughter did sounds normal for kids at a party to me. I have taken my kids but have just followed them around, as you did. They are stressful and not relaxing. It does help if you just accept that this is how it is going to be, it changes your outlook iykwim.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I always take both my sons to all parties! I guess its mainly because our friends are baby/child friendly and everyone is ok with it!!

Some friends do say on invitations no babies/kids i just don't bother going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't think you can make a baby 'used' to sleeping in loud places in a pram. My 4 month old DD won't and I'm not going to have her scream hysterically due to over tiredness to repeatedly try. She comes with us to day events and night events at homes. We elected not to take her to DH's mothers birthday last week in a fancy restaurant for dinner and he went and I stayed home. Apparently everyone did not get it and said she could sleep in the pram or be passed around. DD is social and is happy to be held by other people but not when she is tired and cranky. She goes bananas. She normally goes to bed at 6pm. Having her at a restaurant at 7 does not work... DH and I have accepted that we don't have to justify everything and we know her best. It sounds like you did your best! How dare your 'friend' be mad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just to add- I bf my babies so if they can't go- I don't go. And I'm not staying home for 2-3yrs per child avoiding social scenes.
    I would just like to point out that I fully BF my DS1 for over a year, and went to many many social engagements without him, including being a bridesmaid twice in that time, theatres/shows, and the odd overnight away. Breastfeeding does not condemn a woman to be chained to her child. There is such a thing as expressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I don't take DD to parties - never have. I want to be able to enjoy myself at a party, and I wouldn't be able to relax if I was looking out for DD.
    Totally agree.

Even though your friend was very nice and said you were an exception to the "no-kids" rule I would absolutely not have taken my child to a "no-kids" party. Nobody wants them there. I think he was just trying to be nice (especially as you say he knows you very well and you have noone to leave your LO with).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahra723 View Post
    Some friends do say on invitations no babies/kids i just don't bother going!
    Really?? This attitude absolutely gobsmacks me!!

Thanks
    Reviews

[QUOTE=EmyB;6836662]I would just like to point out that I fully BF my DS1 for over a year, and went to many many social engagements without him, including being a bridesmaid twice in that time, theatres/shows, and the odd overnight away. Breastfeeding does not condemn a woman to be chained to her child. There is such a thing as expressing.

That's a very narrow minded view. Many bf babies won't take a bottle and you can feel very chained to your child...particularly at night. Sounds like your kids made it easy for you. I took mine with me while bf...did so for over a year and a half for each. Wasn't easy and I did feel like I didn't get a night off. Wouldn't have done it an differently though.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Totally agree with your post jennybaby. My ds did not take emb either and my dd was extremely anxious around anyone except dh and I so I would rather not attend evening events. It really depends on the what works for the individual. For me personally it's a small sacrifice bc kids do grow up so fast and soon they will be wanting to go out without us - it will be "no parents allowed"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Really?? This attitude absolutely gobsmacks me!!
    I think it's reasonable.

Some events aren't 'child' events. I don't get at all offended if an invitation is for grown ups only. There are family events and more adult events. Also, children do change the feel of a particular event, and sometimes people just want an evening to be adults only. I don't think it's offensive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (17-09-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast