+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    At a function centre so perhaps I should have known then. The reason there was smoke and wobbly people is because I had to resort to outside as inside was so so so loud and crowded. Dd would have got lost or squashed! That's when I thought hmm time to go. Plus no other kids there made things a bit awkward for some
    I wouldn't assume a function centre = drunk people, broken glass and smoke, I just immediately thought pub function or a house known for more crazy events when you described it like that lol. So if it had been at a function centre I probably would have chanced it like you did, but not alone - you're brave!

Your friend should just be grateful that you tried to attend!

I always feel awkward if there are no other kids somewhere when I take mine

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

Sorry you both had such a crap night.
    DS is 13mths & we tend to stay at home a lot for that reason. He just doesn't settle in crowded settings, especially around people he isn't familiar with. BBQs, family restaurants etc we will take him but we tend to head home early as he gets cranky & won't sleep in a pram. There's only so much fun & relaxation you can have when you're chasing after a little one anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oh god you poor darling.
    Look, personally i dont take dd to functions unless it's a family occasion/wedding which cross finers, hasnt come up yet! lol
    The reasons i wouldnt take her is
    a) im lucky enough to have my mum who i barely have to ask to babysit dd.
    b) She just wouldnt cope. We dont go out at night barely ever, it would totally throw dd out of whack and yes, the loud people and music would frighten her. She's just too young atm.

I think it all depends on the child, some are able to adjust easier to different situations than other's. It's not a matter of "getting them out more". I dont know many 13mths old's who go out to regular night functions!!!

I cant believe those rude things people said to you. And without your DH to back you up....sheesh i'd flip out!
    It's a bit crappy of your friend to be ignoring you...if that's his intentions. I'd totally understand you reasons for leaving so early in the night, but maybe that's cos im a mummy and know all about it

I think you did all you could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

I have taken DS out to parties quite a few times. He came to my sister's 18th and was the only child there. It helps to have someone helping you though! He's also been to concerts and other things late at night and is pretty flexible and well behaved. If he didn't cope I would leave or not take him as well.

I still remember a horrible night where we couldn't leave because it was DP's birthday and it took hours to settle him.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is the worst when you have to do the walk of shame when your child is overwhelmed, and then everyone whispers and makes a scene. This is just life with kids. I was very very social before I had DD, but she hates it. I take her to loads of things, and she is quite happy staying up all hours, then sometimes she isn't. Some days we leave things in tears, other times I can't get her out of there. that you couldn't have a fun night. And look, what they're talking about today will be tomorrow's fish and chips wrapping, as my Mum says.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

When DS was 8 months we were invited to a small intimate wedding of a friend. We attended the ceremony, but declined the invite to the reception as I just knew it would have been a disaster to go. I think you were very brave to take a 13 month old to a function like that, I certainly wouldn't take mine at that age. My DD is 11 months and evening outings are a big no no right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I don't take DD to parties - never have. I want to be able to enjoy myself at a party, and I wouldn't be able to relax if I was looking out for DD. Also, I don't want her around people who may be drinking, smoking, swearing, etc.

This.
    Sorry you had such a rough time. I think your friend is being completely unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlepinkstars View Post
    Sorry you both had such a crap night.
    DS is 13mths & we tend to stay at home a lot for that reason. He just doesn't settle in crowded settings, especially around people he isn't familiar with. BBQs, family restaurants etc we will take him but we tend to head home early as he gets cranky & won't sleep in a pram. There's only so much fun & relaxation you can have when you're chasing after a little one anyway.
    Thank you! See atleast you know what I mean! Not all babies sleep in a pram but last night they looked at me like yea right!

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd from about 6m old would get very distressed in social settings and even more so in the evenings so we would always decline all events beyond 6pm after having experienced several meltdowns. This meant declining wedding invitations, nephew and nieces birthdays etc. She was very anxious around other people so there was no way I could nor would leave her with anyone. I too got comments about can't she sleep in pram, leave her with someone etc etc but although those comments were well meant people don't know my dd the way dh and I do. MIL used to also make comments about me not taking her out enough etc etc. Now she is nearly 3 she is sooo much better even mil thinks she is fantastic so yes I do think some kids will grow out of their anxieties over time.

With regards to your friend I think he is being very unreasonable for getting upset with you. He knew your circumstance and gave you the ok to bring your dd and you made the effort to go even without your dh. I think u are a great friend and very brave and leaving when you did was the right thing to do for your dd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We never take our kids to adult functions, the point of us going is to enjoy that night with whomever is hosting and I couldn't do that if my kids were there. So we usually get either family or a babysitter to look after my two.... I would never just stay home unless I had exhausted all babysitter alternatives...... For me, I am so much more than just a mum. I need to have time out, both by myself, and with hubby without the kids.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast