+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

I GET it now!!!

I have never understood this and always thought it was quite rude children not being invited to functions.......But........

Last night was my first party since dd being born and the host as lovely as he is says to me "look there is no kids but you are welcome to bring yours as I know you don't like leaving her with anyone" ( I don't have anyone so it would have to be a stranger)

So I think how hard can it be a little baby tagging along. Well what an absolute nightmare!! I had to leave after an hour and the host is really upset with me for leaving he won't even return my texts. (we are very close and it was his engagement)

She started off ok but an hour in she was running everywhere, screaming, crying, hitting me if I picked her up. I fed her, walked with her but it just wasn't enough. I think the amount of ppl there or the band playing freaked her.

People were staring at me and who knows maybe wondering why I even brought her. DH being away I didn't really have anyone to contain her. There was cigarette smoke glasses breaking from wobbly people so I thought hmmm ok this is why parties are kiddy free.

I had comments like get a nanny, put her to sleep in her pram and you need to get out more that's why she's like that!!!! This only made me more agro which the baby then picked up on and she just got worse.
    I don't want a nanny as I am a sahm with one child I mean come on, she won't sleep in her pram and I do frigin get out, I take her out everyday!!!!!

Wow what a night. The trip home was a very stressful one as she cried herself to choking fits and there was nothing I could do

Do you guys take your babies to parties? Or do you just not go if there is no sitters?

She's only 13 months btw so I wonder if it gets better as she gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think adorable as kids are there are just some functions where taking children is just not appropriate. They get bored and become a pain and the everyone else gets stressed because they just want to enjoy themselves and not deal with someone else's child being a nuisance..

I hope your friend returns your texts soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

TBH i think they sound like a group of people I really wouldn't consider friends.

Those comments were rude and completely out of line.

If the host can't be empathetic to your situation then I find that quite off too.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-09-2012),delirium  (16-09-2012),elleandsam  (16-09-2012),mrswhitehouse  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry you've had that experience. I've taken my girls to parties since the beginning Inc weddings, engagement parties, housewarmings, birthdays, new years eve parties etc. We haven't had too many issues. I've only ever left one party early.

I took my 3mth old to a housewarming last night and she was awake for the first hour getting passed around then fed her and took her for a walk in the pram and she fell asleep. She stayed asleep till we came home and for another couple of hours after that.

My eldest now 2yo we will take to some events. If it's in a public venue ie hall, park, restaurant we will take her. But if it's someones house - it has to be child safe! Yesterdays housewarming was at a young couple house and not child safe.

Both my girls are very social - I'm the mum that palms them off as soon as I get somewhere to doting family and friends. They sleep happily in the pram in noisy environments.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Super Trooper  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have only left DS with his grandmother of an evening twice. And the first time was well over 12 months, more like 16 months. He spends every Monday with her so knows her well. We wouldn't leave him with a nanny in Fiji and people thought we were odd. That's just the way it is, we don't leave him if we can help it, so don't feel bad you didn't want to leave your dd with a sitter.

But yeah, I would probably skip a party like that rather than take my toddler. Obviously it's a very tricky situation for you though because it was such an important party for your friend. Sorry you both had such a crappy night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't take DD to parties - never have. I want to be able to enjoy myself at a party, and I wouldn't be able to relax if I was looking out for DD. Also, I don't want her around people who may be drinking, smoking, swearing, etc.

My experience of babies at parties seems to be that the parents (or one of) usually end up in a little 'baby group' somewhere separate from the rest of the party (e.g., in the lounge) and it often seems to be a bit stressful for the mums and dads.

I think for a more casual setting - e.g., a bbq, it's not such a big deal. But for an evening party then my preference is not to bring DD, and for there not to be children at evening parties we host. It's hard for new parents, I know, and for people who don't have babysitters. I'm lucky in that my mum and dad live nearby and are always happy to look after DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have taken all 3 of mine to engagements and weddings and 21sts, but they have been sit down formal functions. You said there was smoke and broken glass from wobbly people? I wouldn't take anyone under 18 to that type of thing, no. I just wouldn't go.

Where was it held?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

Im the opposite... I have no probs taking my kids to parties... Although they tend to more be bbqs in backyards or meals at restuarants... Not engagement parties iykwim? In saying that.. I tend to leave my kids at home for engagement parties/weddings etc even when the kids are invited because i want to drink and have a kiddie free night lol. But if I couldnt find a sitter I would take the kids and just not drink.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by Super Trooper; 16-09-2012 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: ....and that's why babies are not invited to parties!!

I take my kids everywhere. I rarely have anyone to look after them, so where we go, they go.

Frankly, your friend whose party it was is being childish and unfair by being cranky at you. You made an effort, it didn't work out, grow up and deal with it (him I mean, not you)

You could have just said no and not gone at all, at least you tried and made the effort. If he is still cranky that you had to leave early, I personally would tell him to go shove it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Just to add- I bf my babies so if they can't go- I don't go. And I'm not staying home for 2-3yrs per child avoiding social scenes.

I know that boob will always settle them so that's never an issue.

I've never had issues with excessive alcohol/smoking at the parties either. Smokers are always well outside. And none of my family and friends are heavy drinkers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-09-2012)