+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wonder Weeks.... Fact or fiction

I wanted to get opinions of 'wonder weeks' or developmental milestones that are meant to be consistent amongst ALL babies.

Do they actually happen!? Are they just an excuse for random unsettledness or does anyone's babies follow them nearly to the book.

How do people cope and do your babies go back to eating and settling etc as they did prior to these leaps!?

No doubt babies do have developmental leaps as they learn new skills constantly but do they correlate with these set 'wonder weeks'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have been thinking lately that they were invented to make us feel better when our babies sleep worse and cry more

Thanks
    Reviews

Who knows but DD seems to add an extra night feed whenever she is in a wonder week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I found them to be pretty accurate.
    Have you read the book, OP?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't read the book, only have the ap but have found it to be pretty spot on for dd, I was a bit of a non believer and only look at it when she's being a bit of a hand full and it's almost guaranteed she has a black cloud above her

Thanks
    Reviews

I found it to be pretty accurate. Especially as the baby gets older, so longer gaps between the cloudy periods. I'd often forget about the book for a few weeks, then DS would suddenly be more clingy, crying eyc etc. I'd look up on the ap or book and yep, it was usually a cloudy week.
    Regardless if it works perfectly, I found it helpful as it reminded me that the 'cloudy' times don't last forever

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I have been thinking lately that they were invented to make us feel better when our babies sleep worse and cry more
    I'm starting to think the same. I have the book but the weeks never correlate with DD and the book to be honest is no help anyway. It just says how your baby may be feeling (clingy, grumpy, fussy etc) how you may be feeling (tired, frustrated, angry.... But do not shake your baby if you do!) and then says what your child 'may' be able to do. But again my DD can't do half of the things they list.

I'm just a bit skeptical is all and I do worry that in some people's cases maybe a baby is being that way for a medical reason but the parents write it off as a wonder week and leave things unchecked or on the flip side if their babies aren't following the weeks parents may change routines, feeding etc when it's not warranted, thinking it is a wonder week.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have the book & it was always on par with DSs fussy periods. Within a week every time. Also, he would always start doing new things straight afterwards so I believe the fussiness is in relation to development "leaps".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have the WW book but I have looked it up and put it in my diary of when the wonder week will likely occur.

It definitely seems par with both my kids. Although I found if its not that its teething!! anyway it makes me feel better there is a reason behind the fussiness that can be really difficult to go through at times and sometimes lasts more than a week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read the book, but I definitely found with both of my kids if they were approaching a big new milestone in development they were extra fussy. My ds had medical issues (silent reflux) and I could tell the difference ... he went from terrible to really terrible during his wonder weeks . My dd had a terrible week last week (unusual for her) and at the end of the week she took her first step. Thankfully the wonder weeks of the early days of her life are a distant memory