+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Canberra to London airline query for baby

Hiya

We will be taking our 4 month old from canberra to London in July next year for 5 weeks (not born yet! To see family). Qantas is way to expensive so next best options are Malaysia air, Singapore airlines and virgin. Whats your recommendation for traveling with a 4 month old? They are similar in price. Is one airline better than the other for baby?
    Emirates flys from Sydney at 6am so not convenient.

Also how does the baby bassinate crib thing work at the front of the seats? Am i guaranteed it when booking? Do I need to bring my own sleeping holder to place on top or can baby lie down directly on that?!

Also would u take a stroller or just a baby carrier/holder? I Maybe able to borrow a push chair when in England from family?

Any other long haul trip advice?!

Thanks very much!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We took dd back to the uk when she was 6/7 months old. We flew Singapore and I would never fly another airline. They were amazing I the point where the ladies came to me and asked if I wanted a 'break' so dh and I could eat and watch a movie or something. So dd was cuddled for about half an hour by a lovely hostess. we were guaranteed the bassinet but I know some airlines say first come first served so you would have to check with the airline. A tip we saw another couple doing with a baby similar age to what your bub will be is making a sort of 'tent' over the bassinet. The lights in the cabin are so bright so they constructed a little tent using light wraps just to keep the light out and also some of the noise. The airline supply a little blanket aswell. Our dd didn't sleep in her bassinet but it was great for storing things like toys/nappies/wipes just so they were easy to get hold of.
    If you are planning on breastfeeding, feed bubs on take off and landing, they shouldn't have any probs with ears. As far as prams go we didn't take one and dh mum had bought one to use over there and also we had borrowed a car seat over there so we didn't need it. You can always see how you go with just a baby carrier then buy a cheapy over there for travel. We ended up buying one over there for alot cheaper than they are here so I was happy!
    Have a great trip!!

Thanks
    Reviews

We moved back to Australia from London when DD was 4 months old and the trip back to Perth with Singapore was a dream! I wouldn't travel with any other airline. They didn't 'guarantee' us a bassinet seat but the babies do always get one (I think the airline just have to cover themselves in case they have a 100 babies travelling!). We took a nice soft blankie to put in the bassinet although I think they provide one. DD slept 10 hours of the 12 hour London-Singapore flight (I dream fed her a couple of times) and then about 3 of the 5 hour Singpore-Perth flight. They have to be strapped to you (they give you a special seatbelt) for take off and landing (feed or give a dummy during these times) and if there is any turbulence and the seat belt sign goes on. But the sound and feel of the plane often soothes little bubs.

We took our baby jogger city select pram with us all the way to the gate, then got it again at Singapore for the transfer between gates. It wasn't damaged at all. I took a carrier but didn't use it as bub slept so much.

The flight attendants are very helpful -give out little packs with toys etc, and often take the bubs so you can have a break (we had a mother and toddler next to us so she needed bathroom breaks etc).

If you have a quick transfer at Singapore you can ask someone to meet you at the gate and accompany you to the next gate. It just takes the pressure off!

You can also take as much as you need for bubs on board.

Good luck! I'm sure it will all go fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't flown with a child that young but something to consider is to buy a stroller over there. Depending on what pram you get you will down grade by the time the child is 12months. You may be able to get the zap xtra or another stroller fairly cheap there. Depending on your airline it may be free to bring back. I would borrow a car seat over there or buy a cheap one to use.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with the recommendation for Singapore, they are great. Malaysian are Ok but we had a long layover with them. I would recommend a sling on the aircraft, if you want to take a stroller check it in. I didn't ever have to take bubs out to go through security, the most I ever got was someone feeling between me and bubs.

check out the strollers on Amazon, you can pick up a nice one pretty cheap and maybe bring it back with you. Or there are plenty of baby hire sites that you can get things through. Don't take your baby seat, most European cars don't have an attachment for a top strap and most Australian seats are not legal in the UK.

have a terrific trip!