+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did your LO go to bed at a reasonable hour?

Ten week old DD won't settle to bed until 10pm or after - when did your baby start going to bed earlier?

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    Ten week old DD won't settle to bed until 10pm or after - when did your baby start going to bed earlier?

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)
    DS was like that from 2 months old til about 5 months.
    DS is almost 6 months old and now sleeps 8pm-6/7am.
    I really wouldn't worry or anything as it is more than likely a stage.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was trying to work this out with DH yesterday. I think at about 3.5-4 months old.

It comes down to setting up a night time routine. Do what you need to do such as breast/bottle, bath, quiet time, songs, lay down for bed.

Eventually bubs will start to associate the routine with going to sleep for the night. Even if they go down at say 7 and wake for a feed or just to be resettled at 9, ensure you keep bubs in their room (whether it be yours or their nursery - where ever he sleeps) and keep it dark. This may take a while but eventually they will also know that it's not up time or play time anymore, it's night time and time to sleep.

I'm not sure when babies start to respond to this but I think 10 weeks old might be too early.

How do you settle your bub to sleep? Does she self settle, do you rock her in your arms, feed her to sleep, or put her down awake and rock / shush pat her?

Be aware that once they get to 4 months their sleep cycles change and if you help bub to sleep by feeding, rocking in your arms etc when they awake in between their sleep cycles they will expect to be settled in the same way they went to sleep to start with, so whilst you may not be able to get bubs to sleep at a 'decent' hour just yet, try more to focus on helping bubs self settle (you don't have to CC or use CIO) so that once they're old enough for a bedtime routine and early bed time to work, they will sleep much better.

I'm not sure how good a sleeper your bubs is, but a lot of times things just fall into place without any changes in what you do, but do try to focus on getting bub to self settle (a bed time routine also helps with this). Just have a read through this particular forum as there are lots of tips on here.

Good luck!
    Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 16-09-2012 at 09:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD was doing the same at 10 weeks old. I think that's pretty standard and expected.
    It wasnt untill she was 6mths that we got a 7pm bedtime/night time routine happening. She also stopped feeding thru the night at 6mths and would sleep thru till 8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    About 3 months but we just go with the flow until they turn two. At 2 bedtime is 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From 2 weeks old when we started a bedtime routine (boob, bath, boob, bed) which aimed to have him in bed between 7 and 8pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: When did your LO go to bed at a reasonable hour?

With DS1 he didn't start going to bed before 10pm until he was around 2 years old. He was just super alert and active and generally happy to stay up late.

DS2 on the other hand was like he was born with a built in alarm clock - from the day we brought him home from hospital he was going to bed at 6pm and now at 2 years old he makes his grumpyness known if he isn't in bed by 7pm at the latest.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD went to bed at 5pm from about 4 weeks of age (and still does now). For the first few weeks of that, DH would give her a bottle when he went to bed at around 11pm/ midnight, but she would never wake to have it. We dropped it after being advised that she didn't need it, and she never woke for it afterwards.

I know that's pretty unusual though. Not expecting that we will have such an early to bed sleeper next time!

Thanks
    Reviews

Both my girls have had bedtime between 7-8pm since 4wks old with a solid bedtime routine.

We do have phases where it all falls apart but the sequence doesn't change. We can move bedtime forward but mostly back as long we stick to the sequence of events.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My older 3 daughters had a bedtime of 7pm from the day they were born and DD4 will scream the house down if she's not in bed by 630 at the very very latest..