+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 month old still a terrible day sleeper

I have posted about my DS not sleeping during the day before but now I am just lost for answers, it's driving me crazy. He only sleeps 1 hour to 1 hr 20 during the day (usually split over 2-3 sleeps) He wakes at 6-6.30am. A lot of the time he will wake at night a couple of times like he's ready to play. I have tried everything to get him to sleep longer during the day, sometimes he screams and thrashes around when I'm trying to cuddle him to sleep. He is crawling everywhere so I thought he'd sleep more because he's worn out, but no. A couple of months ago he slept 3 hours a week on average for two weeks an then it stopped. We regularly put him in his cot at night awake and he goes to sleep but that doesn't work during the day. Help!! What else can I do? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm concerned he's not getting enough sleep health and development wise.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes my baby did exactly that for so long. I gave up worrying and just got him up from daytime naps. He is now 13 months and still usually only has 2 30 min naps. Some days he will have a 2 hour nap, maybe once a week.

I'm sure you are doing everything right for your bub. Some babies just have cat naps. I'm sorry I'm no help, I think lots of babies do this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to punky For This Useful Post:

avenew05  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was similar, and then from 9 months to 12 months had no day sleep - and her nights were still wakeful.

But at 12 months she started having 1 day sleep (1 - 1.5 hours) again.

My advice, don't fight it. If he will sleep in the car or pram or on your lap do that, but if they don't want to sleep, and are doing ok without it, you will do your head in trying to make it happen.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD often didn't have a sleep or would only sleep for 30 min up to twice during the day or for an 1 hour in the morning. I use to wait til I could see she was tired before putting her down for a sleep as their was no way she would sleep otherwise and would just scream. She is now 15 months and I put her down for an afternoon sleep. Sometimes she sleeps and other times she plays in her cot. I call this quiet time. If she hasn't gone to sleep in 30 min I will get her up and I don't leave her to scream in her bed.

Some babies just don't sleep during the day and some just catnap. But I have noticed that at night there is usually a routine before bed eg dinner, bath, story/song, bed. Thus let's the child know what's happening. But during the day there is often no preperation for sleep so they don't know what's happening and just found themselves sitting in bed when they were busy doing something else

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my 9 mth old what i do is make it a routine every day at he goes to bed, sleeping bag goes on, I have dark curtains these are drawn and soft playing music ( i made up a CD) is on the back ground. I do the same for my 2 year old as he still sleeps through the day as well for 2-3 hours, although he just listens to the radio.

My 2 year old always had a comforter toy in bed when you press it it since lullaby songs for ten minutes. But so far I haven't needed anything for my 9 mth old etc the soft music.

My 9 mth old is up for 2 and half hours two times a day before he goes down and sleeps for 1 1/2 hours two times a day. He wakes up half way through and then goes back down again for his 2nd cycle sleep.

From 5ths I did control crying, going in every 10 minutes and conforting him and putting him down again. He has been a dream since but now I have a problem he keeps standing up in his cot and doesn't know how to get down again! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was exactly the same. We tried everything! I think the best thing that worked for us is we just let go of the idea that she would sleep for longer then 30 mins at a time and had to just come to acceptance that we had a cat napper. It finally changed when she was about 15 months old and now has a sleep once a day for an hour or hour an a half. We too worried alot about her development etc because she has slept like that from about 4 weeks old but she is fine and reaching all of her milestones easily.