+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A new sibling...advice needed?

My dd is 3.5 and up until recently is just such a good kid. I had my ds 4 weeks ago and my dd's behaviour has just spiralled out of control. It truly feels like she hates me. I try so hard to maintain special time with her and try to explain and talk to her about the changes but she just seems to be so angry at me it's almost hate and breaks my heart. Any advice or just reassurance that I'm not the only mummy to experience this would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You are not the only mummy to experience this!!

Your DD is probably completely out of sorts and maybe a little resentful and angry too. I once heard the description that it's like your partner bringing home a new wife and expecting you to just be cool with this. I'm sure it's not that extreme but an interesting way to look at it!

My DD was 3 when DS was born and I tried to spend quality time with her every time he had a sleep. We'd do activities I knew she loved - painting, reading stories etc and made her feel as special as possible.

Could you tell her you understand she feels angry, and that you'd probably feel angry too in the same situation? Sometimes validating the feeling can work wonders and help kids talk about them more.

Try and give her some time, it's still very fresh and I promise it gets better as time goes on.

I hope things improve for you very soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear. What does she actually do/say? Is it possible it's your worries about the situation making you misinterpret normal 3 year old behaviour?

I'm afraid I can't share the experience as I'm due in a few days with my second and my DS will be 3. But I'm interested in other replies.

My DS seems well aware of what's going on but the reality will be much different I imagine. Interestingly, he's recently started pretending to be "the baby" and wanting to be carried/sung to. Should be interesting when the baby is actually here....

DS has certainly had periods over the last 2 months in particular where he has behaved abominally for a week or two, then reverted back to normal child. Angry, refusing to co-operate in any way, being rude and rough etc. So perhaps she's just doing the normal 3 year old boundary-testing? It's possibly not related to bubby at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS was almost 3 when DS2 2was born. His behaviour spiraled out of control too. It was really bad. I couldn't leave him alone with DS2 otherwise he would push over the bouncer, smack DS2 in the head, etc..
    His behaviour at daycare changed too. It was bad all round for quite some time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ds 1 is 2 and ds2 is 4 weeks. I was worried but ds1 loves him sooooo much. Gives DS2 all his special toys and comforter. Im amazed. Hope it changes for you soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beleive me you are not the only one to experience this. My DD who was 3.5 at the time DS was born was truely horrible to me, she wouldn't do anything with me it had to be her and Daddy. It made me cry at times, but it all works out, they come around and everything comes back to normal.Just remember you hormones are still abit crazy at the moment and sometimes we read into things to much.

Thanks
    Reviews

I never tell ds1 off for being close or 'helping' im just always there to guide his behavior i also still try to give ds1 lots of attention and explain everything to him ie mummy nerds to give ds2 milk now (we often find ds1 pulling up his top to feed ds2!

Can you encourage her to 'help' and reward that behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks good to know there are others who have experienced it too. We are sure it's been brought on by a new sibling as its whenever I am trying to feed or settle my new ds. I am so close to her it's just so hard. I miss her terribly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, this scares me. My DS1 is 7YO though, no longer a toddler or preschooler, I wonder how it would be like when his baby brother arrives soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2OneDS View Post
    Wow, this scares me. My DS1 is 7YO though, no longer a toddler or preschooler, I wonder how it would be like when his baby brother arrives soon.
    I just had my ds 2 weeks ago and dd of age seven is the best helper in the world and dotes on her little brother all the time