+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    The paed we saw said that the "new" steroid creams don't thin the skin etc and so you don't need to be concerned about using them to get the eczema under control.
    Ours said the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can get stigmacort 1% over the counter, this helped my DS initially but now elocon is much better for flare ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent used wet wrapping but have heard it works. My DD had really bad eczema. I took my DD to an eczema clinic, it took 6 months of natural potions and loition as well as eliminating lots of foods and she only has very small patched that flares up occasionally. I too wasnt keen on using cortisone creams. Now I have a DD who sleeps all night not wakes up 7 or 8 times itching and crying.
    Anything is worth a try and believe me I tried just about every product I could get my hands on.
    Good Luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hansmum For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by babyla; 15-09-2012 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wet wrapping

Hi OP I have suffered severe eczema since childhood and have used the wet dressings many times. I have even had to be hospitalised because of my skin and they would routinely do wet dressings.

I used to cover myself in Betnovate cream (or whatever the cream of the moment was) then they would wrap me up in wet towels. There would be a plastic cover on the bed and I would lay on it then be wrapped up. I would then be covered with a plastic top sheet and then lay there for 45 mins to an hour. Might be tricky with a little one! After the time was up I would dry off then slather in sorbolene, aqueous, QV or whatever I happened to be using at the time. My mum also did them on me at home. I would always find them helpful but a pain in the bum to do!

I know when I was little my mum would do them on specific areas eg hands and that would help. I hope this can help your DD I know the pain and heartache of eczema all too well. If you'd like to ask any more questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief for her soon xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to wet wrap my DD1 when her eczema flared up. I learnt about using wet wrapping at the Royal Childrens dermatological clinic, and we found it really helpful. It cools the skin, and reduces infection because they can't scratch it. She would sleep with the wrapping on, we used the prescribed creams or a QV barrier cream under the wrappings.

I also second using the prescribed cream, and slathering it on when there is a flare up. If you can get the eczema under control quickly, you end up using less steroid cream, than if you use it sparingly for a long time.

Your poor DS, hope he is feeling better soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wet wrapping

My DD's eczema can get really bad around the wrists and hands and when it gets out of control I wet wrap for a couple of reasons- firstly, it calms her skin down really quickly, and secondly, it stops her scratching.

I use tubular bandages and long strips of gauze I cut from an arm sling out of a standard fist aid kit. You can buy disposable towels to use, but they are expensive and obviously one use only.
    I fill a small jug with tepid water and put a squirt of alpha Keri oil in, then put the gauze strips in the water. I apply the cortisone cream to the eczema spots, or all over depending how bad her skin is, then apply a very thick coating of dermeeze ointment over the top. I squeeze out the gauze and wrap it around, as if I was bandaging her hand, then I put the tubular bandage over the top.

The whole thing is quite damp to touch, but not soaking wet.
    I leave it overnight- it must be quite soothing, because she never complains about it, and by the morning her skin has calmed down considerably. I usually do it for a few nights and it helps clear up the eczema really quickly.

HTH

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wet wrapping

Thankyou - i am off to have a look through our 1st aid kid to see what i can use. I will give it a go tomorrow night.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wet wrapping

Just an update for anyone reading. we have used the wet wrapping for flare ups since i posted and have had amazing results. Last flare up this week started wet wrapping 3 nights ago and its already 80 - 90% better, with no steroids.

Ive also had him on eczema probiotics and fish oil & vitamin sups and been watching his diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    Just an update for anyone reading. we have used the wet wrapping for flare ups since i posted and have had amazing results. Last flare up this week started wet wrapping 3 nights ago and its already 80 - 90% better, with no steroids.

Ive also had him on eczema probiotics and fish oil & vitamin sups and been watching his diet.
    Glad to hear it works for you! I have also used wet wrapping on my boys at times, it worked great. Really soothes the skin and it heals up so quickly. I also found it fantastic because with the bandages on, they can't scratch!! So sometimes if i wasn't bothered doing the wet bandages I would just put a dry tube bandage on the affected limb, a couple of nights of not being able to scratch really helped.