+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone work for Govt dept in community/justice sector?

Hi guys,
    Half way through my degree and after completion was going to put my name down for employment with probation/parole and/or child safety. I am assuming there is a bit of competition for these roles so was wondering what sort of volunteer work, related to these fields, i could do? (paid work even better )
    Thanks

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

What state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    QLD, south east Brisbane, so happy to travel around cleveland to logan, beenleigh way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I worked for P&P in QLD and started as an officer prior to completing my degree (I had about 6 months left). They were happy to take me on as a paid employee just prior to completion, in a role that usually required a completed degree (I had to prove completion after the 6 months though with my grad certificate). We didn't have any volunteer students while I worked there...I think they may be particular about it TBH. It's very full on and you have to do specific training on top of your degree (safety training, drug testing training etc). I remember reading about volunteering in the policy and procedures, but I imagine that any volunteer student roles would have very limited responsibilities and minimal tasks. It's worth a shot enquiring anyway. My suggestion would be to find out the name of the District Manager closest to you (you can search the offices online) and send him or her a letter. Bear in mind that there are minimal vacancies available in South East QLD, it's a lot more saturated than the offices up North or out West.

There are roles within P&P that don't require a degree (admin etc and even some officer roles)...it might be worth it to apply for one of them and get your foot in the door, then you can get some experience within the department and see what you think, and later apply for other roles. Once you are in, it's not too hard to transfer to a different department either - one of my friends was seconded from child safety to see what P&P was like...she liked it so much that she applied for the next perm position and stayed

I can't speak for child safety re: volunteering etc, but there are a few hubbers who have worked for them, hopefully they will see this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

suemp  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thank you very much for the advice. Do you mind me asking what degree you have? I've noticed now in qld they require you to obtain a cert 4 in correctional practice so I've applied for that along with a Bach in behavior studies, majoring in in psych with some law subjects thrown in for electives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump: anyone in child safety/docs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a degree in Social Science majoring in criminology and psychology. Have also done my cert IV in correctional practice (community) and a few other certs that I did through QCS, relating to my particular job role. Prior to these certificates I did the QCS Entry Level Training Program (3 weeks in length but it's on-the-job training, so you are paid while you do it). I was a 'case manager'...one of the more experienced officers, working with high risk offenders. I think it's worth applying if that's what you would like to do, but they may only take you on in final year. Also be prepared for a job that has a very high burn out rate...I did like it though, it's very interesting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

suemp  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I have heard about high burn out rate with child safety too. Hopefully I have 'the guts'to stick it out.