+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A Q for those who have answered job ads on Gumtree

So I phoned up for an ad that was on gumtree ' Workers Wanted: bond cleaners required no experience necessary we will train you $20 ph must have own car cleaning equipment & ABN'. All that was listed in the ad was a first name and a phone number- no business name or logo or email address.

I haven't done bond cleaning before but have cleaned holiday units; supplying my own products etc isn't an issue.

As the story goes I phoned the number. Noone answered so I left a message- there was no voicemail just an automated 'leave a message that will be converted to an sms message' so I did. I got a text later that night that read 'so tell me about yourself' to which I replied 'well I have a car, own equipment & ABN number I'm hardworking but would need some training'. I got a reply text flat out offering me a job cleaning a house without any further interview and was asked if I had someone to clean with me or if they'd need to find a 2nd person. There's been no talk of how & when I'd be paid and there's been no training offered- they didn't even ask what experience I have.

My instinct tells me to run for the hills... anyone been offered work based on a couple of text messages that has had a happy ending?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds dodgy.
    Why not just advertise yourself to clean people's houses and be your own boss. I have a friend who did this until this year and it worked well for her.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

MummysYellowCar  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been thinking that might be a better way to pick up work a bit of work. Am quite concerned that I'll turn up do the work and I won't get paid for the job.

I found the 'to rent' ad for the house in question- it's a 5 bedroom prestiege home with 2 living areas a media room & both bathrooms have a double ended shower; the house is tiled right through with imported Italian tiles & is less than a year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Run for the hills. You want to work for a good company. You need to clarify how much you'll be paid. The fact that you need your own ABN means you have to pay your own tax, sick leave, annual leave, super, indemnity insurance. Basically this 'company' just in theory advertises and then gives you the work & they take a commission - potentially a big one. If you're willing to run your own business advertise yourself and take it from there instead of going through this company that sounds dodgy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

MummysYellowCar  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sent a text saying I won't be turning up so they can deal with it- it just doesn't seem right. I'd rather not be making someone huge commissions off my hard work.