+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've bought from Amiella Rose by Design on Facebook.

Also got some from All About Amber

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi OP,Your post has reminded me about looking into buying an amber necklace for my DD- I just googled it and here's some info I'd like to share as I think it's very important to know about possible safety implications. Personally, if I do buy one, I will probably have DD wear as an anklet, as even if the warnings come from isolated/rare cases, (or there may be many, I don't know) I wont risk it.

Amber teething necklaces
    The Queensland Office of Fair Trading has received reports of an increase in use of amber teething necklaces. The necklaces consist of rounded amber chips which are a fossilised tree resin and range in colour from yellow to white, beige to brown. They have been worn for many centuries to reduce teething pain. The product is not meant to be chewed by the infant but instead worn against the skin.The product claims the skin’s warmth releases very small amounts of healing oils from the amber which are then absorbed through the skin into the blood****** and help calm the infant.The necklace can pose two potential hazards; from strangulation and choking. Strangulation may occur if the infant has the amber teething necklace permanently fastened around their neck, especially when they are sleeping. A choking hazard may occur if the necklace breaks and releases the small beads.What you should do:
    • supervise the infant when wearing the necklace
    • remove the necklace from the infant when the infant is unattended even if it’s only for a short period of time
    • remove the necklace from the infant while sleeping during the day or overnight
    • do not allow the infant to chew on the necklace
    • consider using a less risky form of pain relief
    • always seek medical advice if you have any concerns about your child’s health and well being.
    The Queensland Office of Fair Trading is unable to state whether the therapeutic claims for these types of teething necklaces are true andtherefore does not support the use of these products. AlertsWarning notice to public issued in relation to Amber teething necklacesParliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer, David Bradbury has issued a warning notice to the public in relation to amber teething necklaces.
    Last edited by BH-tech; 06-01-2015 at 10:19. Reason: Link Update

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (14-05-2016),PeJu's Mum  (13-03-2013),Wise Enough  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought one from Fancy Amber Baby and it was delivered the next day! Came in a cute purse too. I ended up buying another one from them for my friend's bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Amber does nothing to help with teething. sorry guys, it's a bit of an urban legend.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (14-05-2016),J37  (14-05-2016),Purple Poppy  (14-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (14-05-2016),VicPark  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I brought one from 'all about amber' and used it for DD2 & DS.

Im on the fence as to whether it works but was willing to give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    Amber does nothing to help with teething. sorry guys, it's a bit of an urban legend.
    Correct. The "claim" is that the amber releases succinic acid, which is supposed to have analgesic properties. However...the melting point (in Celsius) of succinic acid is considerably greater than the temperature of the skin!!!

So yes, it's bullcrap.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (14-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Best place - the bin!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (14-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant believe ppl actually believe these work, sorry but all you are doing is wasting your money and putting your childs life at risk. These should just be banned imo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (14-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Correct. The "claim" is that the amber releases succinic acid, which is supposed to have analgesic properties. However...the melting point (in Celsius) of succinic acid is considerably greater than the temperature of the skin!!!

So yes, it's bullcrap.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Even if the claims that succinic acid worked were true (which they aren't) the part I don't understand is why you'd want it supposedly absorbing through the skin around the clock in unregulated quantities.

They don't work - just a choking hazard, sorry OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm of Eastern European background and amber jewelry and Amber products are huge in our culture. I've always disliked it as I find it a bit daggy and have grown up swing it everywhere. seeing as our culture is so obsessed with it, I would've thought if it had any medicinal properties, we would be the first to know about it.

but zip. nada. niente.

therefore I conclude this is a new age fusion of quackery and capitalism. someone is profiting off of unsuspecting mums.

aside from the fact that it's a choking hazard and I'd never put beads around my child's neck.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-05-2016),rusty22  (14-05-2016)