+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Teachers giving sweets as rewards in schools- what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    My youngest has diabetes, so I am looking at this from an entirely different perspective. I don't think it's fair to dish out lollies in the event that other kids in the class can't have them (whether it's due to allergies, intolerances or whatnot).
    Agreed.

DS wanders out of the classroom about once a week with a treat of some kind. I'm pretty sure it's not a reward as all the kids have one & it varies from stickers to pencils to apples. I think he's come out with a lolly once or twice but by the time I (and most other parents) find out about its usually half eaten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see 2 sides to it.
    I do not like it as a frequent thing..
    But DS's schools soon worked out that merit certificates are more important to parents than kids.
    So for academic achievement, they get a pizza party. They get to pick friends and they all get pizza.

This has flipped the attitude to, its cool to do better.. So any kid that improves might get this, or a mufti ticket to wear any day... or a canteen voucher for them and a friend.

It is working so well with all kids thinking its cool to do well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Geez some of the responses in this thread are a bit extreme!

What happened to kids being kids - its a treat for gods sake!!

It's a pretty long bow to draw that kids getting a lolly as a reward in class will lead them to developing an unhealthy relationship with food!

Kids not being able to bring cupcakes to celebrate their birthday, sheesh - next there will be threads judging parents for giving out lolly bags at parties!!!
    since when did kids being kids need to involve junk food? I'm failing to see the connection. And of course on lolly isn't going to develop an unhealthy relationship with food, and my relationship with food is more healthy thn the average person (just not as healthy as it should be all the time) but I just don't want my children growing up having to deal with an unhealthy relationship to food. That's my call to make and if rewarding kids with food at school was happening in my DD1's school then I would voice my concerns and want it to be changed.
    I think it's pretty fair to say that a good percentage of Australian's have an unhealthy relationship with food. If we didn't we wouldn't have problems with obesity like we do, so yes, I do think it's time we step up and seriously address the way we educate our kids. I didn't mention this but I would be all for a ban of birthday cakes at school. I don't ever remember having cake at school for a classmates birthday and we all survived. Between cakes at school, and then cakes at the parties she gets invited to, and then the party food as well....it all just gets to be a bit too much at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I HATE it!!
    I have a special needs child in a support unit and the teachers had huge buckets full of crap to reward the kids!! They wonder why my daughter started off good then was running up the walls!!! I asked them over and over and over again not to do it but they never listened and I had to pick her up early because they couldn't controll her!!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

OP I'm not sure where you live, but I'm a teacher in SA and we aren't allowed to give out lollies in state schools. Technically we shouldn't even let kids bring a birthday cake into school, but I think we all bend the rules a little for that! I use points which are converted into fake money at the end of the week as a reward for my kids, which they can then exchange for things like an early minute, computer time, no homework for a week etc. They have to save money for the bigger things...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    OP I'm not sure where you live, but I'm a teacher in SA and we aren't allowed to give out lollies in state schools. Technically we shouldn't even let kids bring a birthday cake into school, but I think we all bend the rules a little for that! I use points which are converted into fake money at the end of the week as a reward for my kids, which they can then exchange for things like an early minute, computer time, no homework for a week etc. They have to save money for the bigger things...
    I live in Melbourne. The other thing I want to point out is the irony in the school saying they encourage healthy snacks/lunches, but giving sweets for good behaviour/achievement is okay? Also, the other thing is that when DD1 was at kinder, she was aware that sweets are 'sometimes food', but now she says 'it's okay mum", I think the reasons are peer pressure and teachers themselves offering sweets as rewards. With the struggle that parents face to curb sweets/ offering them as rewards, now on top of that we have to deal with teachers giving it to them!
    'Once in a while is okay I think' is what the teacher said. I'm not saying ban sweets/cakes/sweet-based fundraisers at school, but not as a reward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone else read a book call$ "unconditional parenting"? It makes you reallyink about rewards. I personally dont like rewards at all.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I wouldn't like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    Has anyone else read a book call$ "unconditional parenting"? It makes you reallyink about rewards. I personally dont like rewards at all.
    I know about this book but I haven't read it. I agree with it philosophically, the best rewards are intrinsic and therefore motivate rather than bribe. But I also think that sometimes rewards are justifiable - as adults if we work we are rewarded by being paid. I think there is a place for rewards/treats just not all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

This would never happen at our school but I'd be absolutely horrified if it did, for a number of reasons.

Eeeeek.