+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Interesting replies. A couple of points-
    DD1's school says that sweets/lollies are not preferred food items in lunch/snack boxes. They have a 'fruit' time 1 hour after they begin lessons in the morning. And then they give sweets as rewards? Doesn't make sense.
    Also, DD1 was really big on healthy eating in kinder, where she was taught that sweets are 'sometime food' and spoil teeth. Now in prep, she gets sweets from her teacher/other teachers.
    How can the school preach healthy eating/looking after oneself/health related incursions, etc. and then teachers give sweets? Even if occasional, the child has made the link between sweets and rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrincess View Post
    How often is it happening, OP?
    Well she was offered it initially on joining this year, then 2 times the last week by different teachers. We offer stickers/books/drawing/colouring stuff as rewards at home. What irks me is that with all the talk about obesity/diabetes/healthy eating, schools could seriously promote healthy eating. Why link sweets to rewards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fine if it is an occasional thing. where DD used to go they had a healthy eating policy, and don't get me wrong i'm all for educating kids about healthy eating. However this policy drove me crazy, no b'day cake, no lolly bags, no this or that in the kids lunch box!!!! it was just so difficult.

The canteen sold only healthy lunches- nuggets, spag.bol. the frozen variety, then you just toss it into a different container to make it look home made

i think what we need is middle ground.

we are overseas at the moment and granted childhood obesity is a non issue here, but schools don't make a huge issue of food and it just takes away a lot of the pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Interesting replies. A couple of points-
    DD1's school says that sweets/lollies are not preferred food items in lunch/snack boxes. They have a 'fruit' time 1 hour after they begin lessons in the morning. And then they give sweets as rewards? Doesn't make sense.
    Also, DD1 was really big on healthy eating in kinder, where she was taught that sweets are 'sometime food' and spoil teeth. Now in prep, she gets sweets from her teacher/other teachers.
    How can the school preach healthy eating/looking after oneself/health related incursions, etc. and then teachers give sweets? Even if occasional, the child has made the link between sweets and rewards.
    How often and how many?

SORRY - just saw you already answered this

I see lollies/cakes/biscuits etc as 'sometimes foods'.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Teachers giving sweets as rewards in schools- what do you think?

Hmmm....I am guilty of this today! (High school). But first time all semester. I rarely do it. This was a prize for 'best presentation' and the kids voted on who should get the 3 prizes (a freddo). I think it's ok on occasion, but not as a regular thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Teachers giving sweets as rewards in schools- what do you think?

I think it's terrible as a regular thing. As a teacher I don't do it as common practice. But sometimes, maybe once a term (if that) I might do an optional quiz or fun thing and the winner gets a freddo or iceblock from the tuckshop. All in moderation. We have a fruit break too in my class, but I don't think the odd treat is a bad thing, teaches moderation too and that it's okay sometimes.
    I dislike lolly jars on teachers desks as a constant form of rewards. In fact, I'm one of those crazy people/teachers who don't believe in rewards based system as a foundation of behavior management etc. I find words of praise and encouragement much more effective. (besides, if I have sweets in the classroom I usually just end up eating them myself!!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Don't like it.
    As far as I know, my kids teachers don't do it. I dont even like when kids bring birthday cupcakes coz of the artificial colours in the icing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hate it and if it happened at my kids scool I would be going to a P&C meeting and expressing my concerns for the message they are giving kids and requesting that they change the rewards to non edible items. When I was in primary we got scratch and sniff stickers and they were awesome!! I still get a bit excited when I see them, just because I remember how I felt when I got one at school as a kid.

I am a cakes/lollies/biscuits have a time and a place type of attitude with these things and my kids but I was rewarded with food as a kid (great report card, lets go out to dinner to celebrate, did well in something 'woohoo, lets have some chocolate' type of stuff) and I'm nearly 30 and still struggle to have a healthy relationship with food...I am generally healthy and quite strict on what I eat but I fall off the bandwagon at least once a year. I don't want my kids to have this struggle...DH was never rewarded with food, and food was something you ate to keep your body alive and working, there weren't emotions attached to it and he has such a great relationship with food....
    sorry went off on a tangent there

Thanks
    Reviews

Geez some of the responses in this thread are a bit extreme!

What happened to kids being kids - its a treat for gods sake!!

It's a pretty long bow to draw that kids getting a lolly as a reward in class will lead them to developing an unhealthy relationship with food!

Kids not being able to bring cupcakes to celebrate their birthday, sheesh - next there will be threads judging parents for giving out lolly bags at parties!!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (15-09-2012),Ishtyban  (15-09-2012),Piffle  (15-09-2012),sparklebug  (15-09-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest has diabetes, so I am looking at this from an entirely different perspective. I don't think it's fair to dish out lollies in the event that other kids in the class can't have them (whether it's due to allergies, intolerances or whatnot).

In any case though, I think it's still up to parents and parents alone to give kids lollies...I really hate when my kids get given lollies. I don't care if I sound anal...there are plenty of other reward things that kids love.

Thanks
    Reviews

As a teacher I give rewards but they r things like pencils, rubbers etc. kids have never complained