+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Formula & International Flights

Can anyone shed some light on international flights for me:
    We're going overseas in four weeks and was wondering how we go about taking formula on the plane? Can we take sterilised water? What about the formula -i'm thinking they might not be too impressed with an unlabelled powder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What airlines are you going with? I don't think it's a problem with unlabelled powder and I think they provide boiled water on plane. I'm flying in a few days, will bring 2x200ml ready to drink cartons so i'm interested to hear the answer too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Can you get the pre-made formula cartons for the flight? Or even the pre-measured sachets?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

No problems with taking powder formula through customs. It can be in your normal travel container. You can't take water, but boiled water is available from the cafes in the airport and onboard the plane.

Baby food and ready to drink cartons are also fine, although they prefer a sealed packet or you might have to try some when going through customs.

I found the airport staff and airline very accommodating and helpful when travelling with a small baby.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're going on Air Mauritius. We use Bellamys organic and i don't think they do premade or sachets. Might have to call the airline and ask perhaps? I don't want to get there and they make me throw it away otherwise I'll have a very hungry baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats good to know about the powder. Seems a bit silly that they won't let you take water through customs yet you can fill the baby's bottle from the cafe on the other side. I'll need a bottle ready to go for when we take off so she can suck on it so we'd have to fill it up once we go through customs so it cools down in time hey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They have to allow you to take formula, I had some in those avent little formal take along thingys, all measured and ready to go. but as a precaution took an unopend packet with us.
    I also took DS's water iN a 1.2l thermos (was a 24hr flight, so that was enough with a little extra incase of spillage- I only have bouts of ocd when travelling )

I called to find out about the water they said I could not board with it- I tried my luck anyway and they had no issues with it on the day, otherwise I would have just spilled it and bought water after entering the gates, as the flight attends can boil water for you.

we stopped at numerous airports, they were only really anal at London, I had to stand to the side and try all baby products- oh and I thought it was funny that DH grabbed the thermos to take a sip and the guy said- no, the mother must try it

have a great holiday!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took water in the baby's bottles with me.. they let me thru even tho i got a lecture.

Thanks
    Reviews

I travelled to Italy recently with my DD. I just took an empty bottle and a container with formula. The airlines always have boiled water available and for the first bottle I just mixed a bit of bottled water so it was cool enough for take off.
    All airlines I've ever travelled with always let families with small children board t plane first. This always gave us plenty of time to settle in and get a bottles ready. Also, the staff on planes are normally incredible helpful and don't be shy to ask for anything!

Thanks
    Reviews

I was wondering - do you still have to boil bottled water to give to baby? (Sorry OP, your thread just made me think of this & I've been wondering for a while!)