+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh, thats horrible. At the end of the day you are paying for those swimming lessons and she is your child. They should be listening to you.

My girls don't have sensory issues but we had HUGE issues with DD2 and swimming lessons. When she first started she was absolutely terrified. She hated the water and cried a lot, then when she was in the water she didn't want the teacher to let her go, and didn't want her face anywhere near the water. And didn't want to DIE which is what she would scream when it was nearly time to jump in.

I have realised just how lucky we were to find a swim school who will listen to us. I had a chat to them about DD2 about how terrified she was and together we worked out the best approach. We swapped her to a younger softly spoken teacher and they even said they had another teacher in mind if we felt she wasn't the right choice. She was told to be gentle with her and absolutely not force her into putting her face in the water. She did encourage her later on once she had her trust but never forced her to do anything she didn't want to do. Jumping in was done while holding her hands and never letting go from the bench in the water at first and slowly over time she worked on getting her to jump from outside the water. Sure, she didn't improve as quick as other kids but she wasn't distressed anymore and that swimming teacher had her trust.

Years later and DD2 is able to swim and isn't too far behind her twin sister but her teacher can see she is a nervous swimmer. But she can make a very strange attempt at diving in and swim the whole 25m pool. But it took years to get to this point. Although we have now discovered that she can't handle swimming lessons with that teacher she first had. They had very small classes this term and wanted to swap her to the class before but she couldn't even handle the thought of it as it was with that teacher and she reverted back to that scared little girl. So, no problem they just kept her in that class which is usually all by herself and no other kids (since most of the kids didn't re-book this term for some reason) and worked around it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (14-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Parents of kids with (mild) sensory issues help (+ vent)!

Mim1 our school does all that, fun and games, the instructor is firm but kind and that is why we chose her... And it's been 4 terms now and still no head under! They do insist on one submerge per session, but if they force more she freaks out a bit. Good point about the noise tho, I wonder if it might be worth trying a smaller quieter pool, less of an overload... Hmmm... That is definitely a possibility...

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Mim1 our school does all that, fun and games, the instructor is firm but kind and that is why we chose her... And it's been 4 terms now and still no head under! They do insist on one submerge per session, but if they force more she freaks out a bit. Good point about the noise tho, I wonder if it might be worth trying a smaller quieter pool, less of an overload... Hmmm... That is definitely a possibility...

Maybe just a different time? Some times the classes might not be full on a particular day/time or there may only be 2 classes running instead of the usual 4 (for example) and so it might be easier.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Maybe just a different time? Some times the classes might not be full on a particular day/time or there may only be 2 classes running instead of the usual 4 (for example) and so it might be easier.
    It wasn't deliberate but she's already at a quiet time, we changed her from Saturday morning but it hasn't made any difference.

One thing we are gonna try is giving dd2 an extra class, we're hoping if she learns to go under, dd1 might follow. It worked with toilet training

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your input

Thanks
    Reviews

Btw mim1 I think you are probably right, I need to back off and not get all Mumma Bear on them They must surely be frustrated too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    makes me hopping mad!!!! Our son has Senory processing disorder and auditory processing disorder and we ended up withdrawing him from swimming lessons as they just did not get it (for him more on the auditory side). Thank goodness his school have been accepting and accomodating. If I were you I would stand up for your DD and simply put your foot down and straight up say no she will not be submerging her face in water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no reason why she should have to and it seems a bit unfair to rob her of a activity that she enjoys so I say stand your ground. On a different not can I just say contact the childrens services area of your local major hospital, there are many wonderful services available. We had a full assement done on our son free of charge through the childrens services department of Penisula Allied Health. After he was diagnosed we had free occupational therapy etc... Was really helpfull. Our DD also has sensory issues - she has oral aversion and again our local childrens services were so helpful. You are not alone, there is so much help available. Please PM me if you need someone to chat to xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am an adult and I still will not put my head under water,
    I can not stand to have my face submerged it freaks me out big time,
    I did swimming lessons as a child but they were more water safety than anything else

I also used to get in trouble.at school for chewing on my tie, mostly I didn't even notice I was til a teacher chastised me about it :/.

Sent from my T-Hub2 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wouldn't you know it? It's Murphys Law. Guess who went under the water today and came up smiling? DH & I were like a pair of nongs, clapping and cheering from the side of the pool . She WA still terrified to jump in but eventually half-slid/half jumped while holding the instructors hand. Afterwards she said it was fun. One year to get this far. Let's see if she does it again next time. Yayyy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yay, thats really good news.

DD2 took a lot longer to do that even once without crying and screaming. I'm talking over 3 years. Then maybe another 12mths or so before she started jumping in without holding the teachers hands. Even now almost exactly 6 years since her first swimming lesson she has never said jumping/diving in is fun. She's ok about swimming but doesn't love it like her twin sister who told me she loves it so much she wants to go to the olympics. LOL