+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you have a wedding with $1000 or....

Wait for a few years and have a more extravagant wedding?

Basically, we were due to get married September 9th 2012 just gone, I was planning a big flashy wedding, then I got pregnant! Our first baby is due October 2nd 2012, therefore we postponed the wedding. I won't go to details, but due to maternity leave and finances and what not, now I can basically afford $1000 to get married in around march. I already have my dress, all wedding rings, suit. Will make EVERYTHING myself (invitations, bouquet etc), the only things I have to pay for is food (barbecue in our back yard), some decorations, dress alteration and celebrant. I will decorate my back garden with fairy lights and borrow tables and chairs from everyone and anyone, have some fires going, music, cook all our own food (potato salads, corn on cob, meat, veggies), best friend will make wedding cake, Dad has expensive camera and will take pics, we'll buy a bunch of cartons of beer and bottles of wine...

Or like I said, book a date two years from now and start planning my extravagant ($10,000+) wedding? We are renovating, have a new baby on the way, I don't know if that's such a smart idea, plus I just want to get married now! But it also scares me to plan a wedding on $1000, that would go in a flash. Don't know what to do!!

Thanks for any advice

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews

You could most certainly do a wedding on 1k as you have a huge majority of stuff already.

Check Etsy for Invitation printables, eBay for cheap paper lanterns, just have a simple colour theme and make tissue paper pom Poms, you can do sooo much!

Save that 10k for things that will make more of a difference in your lives - because you'll be married at the end of the wedding day no matter how much you spend but having 10k may help with education, home expences etc.

Make it a fun challenge to have the prettiest wedding for the least amount of money. Go to Pintrest for ideas too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Would you have a wedding with $1000 or....

We spent a grand total of $2000 for our wedding and my guests told me it was one of the best weddings they have been to, because it was so laid back and low key. We had a 'stand up' reception, which meant everyone just mingled with whoever and there was no set timings that things had to be done by.
    If you really want to get married ASAP, then do it. Spending up big and having a lavish affair won't make your marriage any better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I do it now rather wait. It sounds so pretty and wonderful. I love it. Go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would definitely do it now.

Thanks
    Reviews

If it were me I'd go for the $1000 option. $10 000 + is a lot to spend on one day especially when you are renovating a home and have a family to support. Just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did my wedding in 6 weeks and with about $3000....it was great! Would do it that way again!

Really low key and so much more personalised...I even made my own cake!

The only extravagance was my $500 wedding dress, which I got half price in a sale!

But it is your special day and don't let anyone forget that. For me marrying my guy was more important that the specifics of the day.....

Do what you feel comfortable with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I havnt read any posts and to be honest I didn't even read the full OP but here is all I have to say about Weddings:

Prepared for your MARRIAGE not the Wedding :-)

In other words, it's the marriage that is most important. I'd rather have money left over for pre marital counselling than use it on an extravagant wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do it now. You've already got the big ticket items out of the way and have already worked out how to keep it under budget if you talk to your local bottle store they might be able to arrange some sort of discount if you buy bulk of a certain product. If you have a local butcher that you go to regularly and tell them it's for a wedding they might also be able to help with a discount

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did ours under $1,000... it wasn't anything amazing, but as a PP has said, we were focussed more on the marriage, the wedding was largely to appease my MIL.

Just make sure your dad can take amazing photos, research together wedding photos, because in 10 years the bulk of your memories of the day will be built on those photos.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (31-12-2012)