+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Topless waitresses in take-away shop

Well I just found out our lunch at work will be provided today...from a hamburger shop that has topless waitresses

The article is below. I'm interested in others thoughts on this. Whilst I can appreciate they are doing it tough financially, I personally think it's beyond tacky.

A PLAN to have topless women serving hamburgers opposite Carrington Public School at lunchtime has caused a bitter bunfight in the inner-city suburb.

Beth and Kevin Schell want to employ topless waitresses at their Young Street takeaway store to serve tradesmen on Fridays.

‘‘We are one of six takeaways in Carrington. Everyone is doing it tough and we are just trying to get ahead,’’ Mr Schell said yesterday. ‘‘Ninety per cent of our customers are tradesmen. We discussed it with them and they think it’s a great idea.’’

A special tradies’ $12 meal deal will be on offer between 10am and 2pm next Friday.

The store’s shutter windows will be closed and a double curtain put over the doorway to prevent schoolchildren and passers-by seeing inside.

Ms Schell, a mother of four daughters, said the women would be paid above award wages plus tips and would not be involved in food preparation.

‘‘It’s not going to be any different to what they have at the pub on a Friday night,’’ she said.

‘‘We get on well with the school and we are not expecting any problems.’’

Parents who spoke to the Newcastle Herald yesterday said they were appalled at the proposal.

The school’s P&C has written to the business requesting it to abandon its plans.

Potential exposure of children to the shop’s activities and its customers plus parking congestion are among their concerns.
    ‘‘There has got to be some sort of moral compass; having topless women across the road from the school is totally inappropriate,’’ parent and P&C member Belinda Epstein said.

She said the proposed activity was also likely to undo years of hard work to improve the suburb and the school’s image.

‘‘We are a different community than we used to be and this will drag us back into the past,’’ Ms Epstein said.

A Department of Education spokesman said the department was aware of the community’s concerns.

‘‘Schools are not in a position to intervene in community matters when an activity is legal and does not pose any direct threat to students,’’ he said.

A WorkCover spokesman said the business was not required to advise it of the proposed activity.

However, he said the NSW Work Health and Safety Act required a business owner to ensure, as far as practicable, a work place that was safe and without risks to the health and safety of workers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ok well that is certainly different....
    They are comparing it to a Friday night.... It is not night for a start.... I don't think it's right, even with all the precautions in place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is quite tacky..... But if it's during school hours then there should be no school kids in the shop....might squeeze some more money out of 12 year old boys who go buy some hot chips in the hope of seeing some b00bies. I've accidentally gone into a topless bar. It was odd.

Off topic: but since when is $12 the new special at a hamburger shop!! Gawd prices are going up!!

Also a bit presumptuous to assume that tradies are women googling drool monsters.... And why do tradies only get the special? What happens if Sam and Barry from the real estate next door wants to get some lunch and oogles? Do they get the special? Hell might spot a few of the primary school teachers heading over to get their lunch on Fridays as well.....
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 14-09-2012 at 09:23.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I thought this was going to be some sort of joke....unfortunately not...

I agree with a PP, I find it tacky, and not convinced it will boom business for them. They might just find they get a group of guys coming in for a gawk when only one may be purchasing.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Topless waitresses in take-away shop

Tacky and pointless. If they do great food and service that would speak volumes... And wouldn't need topless women.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yikes I wouldn't want to be topless around and deep fryers! Lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AppleIsleSMum For This Useful Post:

Pearl Barley  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have no issue with it, alot of places do the friday topless lunch thing (not just for tradies - but for officeworkers too) so why not a topless takeaway shop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

ryemsmum  (16-09-2012)

Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe instead of paying above award wages they could instead buy better quality supplies.
    IMO this is just another way to keep women as sexual objects. It is disgusting.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Becks23 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (14-09-2012),MoonMoon  (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I personally find it vulgar and distasteful and would look down upon anyone who went there and thought using women's bodies for profit (and in such a stupid way), opposite a primary school, was acceptable.

I also dislike that it's aimed at tradies. Tradies should not be targeted for filth, and I really dislike the idea that "all tradies just want to ogle women." It's a disgusting idea and it needs to be stomped out, not encouraged. So many men that work in a trade feel they have to put up with this stuff just because others have decided, "that's what tradies like." So many events are based around nude/nearly nude women and it just sickens me.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 14-09-2012 at 10:01.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2012),cmd'smum  (14-09-2012),Happy2be3  (14-09-2012),MissMuppet  (14-09-2012),MoonMoon  (14-09-2012),OJandMe  (14-09-2012),Theophania  (14-09-2012),~ElectricPink~  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Tacky and pointless. If they do great food and service that would speak volumes... And wouldn't need topless women.
    Agree.

I really don't see the point to be honest

If there food and service was good they wouldn't need to go this path, I think it could potentially drive away a lot of pre existing customers too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-09-2012),cmd'smum  (14-09-2012)