+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How much coughing before you get concerned?

I have had a cough for nearly 2 weeks now, it has not improved at all and feels like i will coughing for the rest of my life. I went to the dr and he listened to my chest, said it was clear and i just had a virus that should pass in a week or so - that was 5 days ago. My DD's have this cough too but i seem to be hit the hardest (i am pregnant if that makes any difference). I am now having horrible thoughts that it must be whooping cough because i have never coughed so much in my life, i rarely get coughs and if i do they are very shortlived/minor. I am freaking out - is it possible to cough so long with just a regular cold virus??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    bump......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How much coughing before you get concerned?

Could you go back to that dr or go to a different dr and ask to be tested for whooping cough ?

Also there is a cough medicine you can get from the chemist that you just sip that works really well but I'm not sure what it's called or if you can take it while pregnant.

Hope you are feeling better soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! I have heard that the cough can last 5 to 6 weeks. It certainly can't hurt to have you all looked at again, especially seen you are pregnant.

Good luck and hope you get better soon. It's tough when you're not well and pregnant and looking after other kids...

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When you cough is it severe, to the point where you can't get a breathe? If so I'd be demanding a whooping cough swab - although it is too late for them to give you antibs now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have struggled for breath during a few coughing fits but mostly not, it is just a constant cough that won't go away. I am producing a lot of green mucus as well. The dr wasn't concerned at all (they never are ) so i thought maybe it was normal but surely it would be getting better by now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of my boys had a nasty cough that lasted around 7 weeks, they swabbed but negative for whooping cough.

When I had whooping cough in 2004 - I didn't produce any phlegm, but the coughing was so severe I would turn purple and vomit after every fit, the fits don't happen all the time, so I would be okay for 10 minutes sometimes, and then it would start and keep going for a few minutes until I could get a breathe and then have a vomit.

Having said that, if you have had the vax or been exposed you can get it mild - to the point where it is a niggling cough that doesn't go away. So I would ask for a swab, it takes one second - I don't know why they just don't do it as a matter of course - it isn't like we aren't having huge outbreaks all over the place!!

Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I have struggled for breath during a few coughing fits but mostly not, it is just a constant cough that won't go away. I am producing a lot of green mucus as well. The dr wasn't concerned at all (they never are ) so i thought maybe it was normal but surely it would be getting better by now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi, yeah we've had this in our house for at least 8 weeks now.
    my DH had it first, he caught it from a work mate and he was told it was a nasty one and will linger for weeks. He was coughing up some horrible coloured gunk, that he tried to show me?? Wtf? Really?
    Sure enough, my DS1 caught it in no time, and as with little boys, he won't spit it out, other that that he is in top form, just chesty.
    sometimes it acts up at night, sometimes not.
    Though both men were bad last night with it.
    i have to admit, in the early days I thought it was whooping cough too,
    but I think the phlegm is so thick, it's difficult to deal with.

No real help here, just to let you know that it's a nasty one going round right now.