+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't see the show so I don't know what types of scenarios babies would be left with their mothers. Ultimately the person who matters most is the baby and what is best for them long term.

I can imagine scenarios where in a safe controlled environment keeping mother and baby together could be beneficial, specifically for short sentences - so it's not like you have a crawling/toddling baby in a prison environment? Or I'd imagine removing an older baby or toddler from their mother would be more traumatic for the baby than a newborn going into the care of someone who will bond and love them.

Though it's a truly crap situation where there's probably no-win really.

I also believe Not all women are going to be good mothers, that love does not conquer all, that a maternal bond is Not automatic and binding or that the best place for a baby is always with their mother. I would hazard a guess and say in most scenarios where a woman has committed a serious enough crime to be jailed that a baby would be better off with someone else. I dont know anyone in jail but i do know people who havent gone to jail ; in the context of if that If they are walking around free to reOffend then what Does someone need to do to go to jail.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 30-09-2012 at 09:25.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've watched this show a few times (on foxtel) is is very hard for these women to be eligiable to keep thier babies with them, they have a special seperate wing for them, they have carers and specialized professionals that work with them to care for thier babies. I think it is very very important for both the mother and baby to remain together as long as neither are in danger from the other and this is what this program allows

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm not sure where hte doco was set, but I saw one about prisons and in whichever country, it's actually standard for a child to live with their mother in prison up until school-age (depending on the crime, of course).

Apparently, according the doco, research had suggested this is better for both mother and child long-term, and the child has already fostered a relationship with their mother before she is released, so it's much better for everyone when she finally comes home.

I think it's probably a good thing.

Years ago there was a show about a low-security women's prison on TV, and I'm sure it was in Aus or NZ... and they had children in there too. The whole place was set up like a little village. Everyone had a job. Say Sally is a hairdresser... she works there during the day, and her kids go to a "daycare" type thing... and then she goes back to her little bungalow with them for the night. They just happened to be surrounded by walls and not allowed to leave the little village.

The children all seemed pretty happy, and I think it really made all the women behave a lot better, knowing their kids were there, watching. It was a series type of show too... not just a once-off...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (30-09-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's a great idea...

Not all people who are in prison deserve to have children taken off them. Just because you're pregnant when you go there doesn't mean you won't be a good Mum.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To those who say under no circumstance should a child be with their mother when she in prison remember.. this happened to Lindy Chamberlain. Now over 30 years later they are finding more & more proof that Azaria was taken by a Dingo. Lindy was totally innocent & imprisoned whilst Pregnant and then the child was taken from her for no reason other then she was in Gaol...

I totally support the idea of children staying with their mother's in prison where they can. A lot of that is due to the number of Incorrect convictions thankfully these are getting less & less. Also because you don't know the entire circumstances of the person.

Also Sassy the Prion you are speaking of I am pretty sue is the same one Mimsie is talking of.