+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How/when could you/should you discipline someone else's child?

I just make a general comment .eg, if you can't all play nicely then you can't play together.

Lala Land
    DS recently has his nose broken by another kid at a party (a deliberate kick to the face) - picture screaming child pouring blood....... Not only was the "offending" child not disciplined - the parents didnt apologise - until nearly two weeks later when they where informed that DS was going for surgery to have it corrected by another parent. Its the scandal of the mummy circle here........

It is very tricky.
    I used to babysit 5 kids under 4 from 2 different families. They all knew eachother and generally got along majority of the time.
    Their parents always had a talk to them about how to behave when i (their babysitter) was in charge. The parents always went over with me how they discipline if it ever came to that. I kept it in the back of my mind, but would always deal with situations however i felt comfortable.
    A few particular incidents occured with the kids biting and hitting eachother. Unfortunately i was unable to see who/what/when so it was hard to take anyone's word for it.
    I found talking it out helped. "That's not how we play with our friends", Eye contact and seperation if it persisted. I never punished them. I left that to the parents once i let them know what was happening lol

If ever i caught my daughter hurting another child, i'd nip it in the bud asap. She's too young for punishment in my eyes, so i'd physically re-direct her (move her away from the child), show her how to say sorry/are you ok and show her im upset with her behaviour yet continue to praise when she plays well with that child again.
    At such a young age, i wouldnt go on and on about bad behaviour. Rather focus on good behaviour.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 14-09-2012 at 14:03.