+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How/when could you/should you discipline someone else's child?

Now I am not trying to be emotive at all...but genuinely need some advise.

If my child does something to hurt another child whether accidentally or deliberately I am quick to find out what happened (if I didn't see it) and I will discipline my child as necessary.

Now what do you do when other kids hurt your kids? I always look to the parent to discipline the child as I would do my own and more often then not they seem to brush it off or just ignore it.

There have been couple of incidences where kids have hurt my kids and they come to me for comfort as I always tell them to come to me if they get hurt and then I look expectantly at the parent but they usually make a joke out of it...and well frankly it saddens me as I feel like I protect my kids when they come to me for help.

Another instance just recently, little girl (3.5yo) bit ds1 on the arm...gave him a massive bruise. Parent said 'oh she is being a bit rough isn't she' and ds1 was quite upset. I bent down to the girl and said 'now we shouldn't bite' and the girl slaps me across the face! I look to the parent and she is like 'oh she is really being difficult isn't she?'

It's surprised me that nothing was done but I feel so ineffectual as a parent as I cant seem to help my kids. Does that make sense?

So can your discipline someone's else's kid? Can you pull them up and say 'hey you hurt ds2'. What do you do in those situations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I wouldn't call it discipline, but I have told children many times that it's not nice to hit/kick/pinch etc.

I have seen parents turn a blind eye to their child's behaviour, and I find it really annoying.

I have even confronted the parent a few times, especially of they're not even watching their child.

With friend's children, I don't intervene, unless it is serious. I have one friend who I don't see much of because she just doesn't say anything when her kids hurt others, so I do sometimes say stuff then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How/when could you/should you discipline someone else's child?

If a child hurts my child once.i watch to see if it was an accident.

If they continue to hurt him i will say loudly HEY! don't hurt him!

I will pull other children i know up if they are hurting others.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Depends on who's children they are and if we know them or if its a random kid at the park.

If its a random thats pushed, hit etc my kid i say to the child 'its not nice to push' then re-direct my kid to a different section.

If its a friends kid, usually the friend steps in if she see's it but if not i say 'its nit nice to do such and such so say sorry and don't do it again' if problem persists id ask friend to talk to her kid about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If one of DS' friends hurts him or he hurts one of his friends, my friends and I have no issue saying "hey xx, don't push zz", or "hey, xx was playing with that, give it back". Trying to hold a conversation/make a cup of coffee and keep a constant eye on your toddler is tricky and sometimes you're going to miss something. That's with my friends though.

If it's a kid at playgroup I might say "that's not very nice" to the kid and move my child away, but I wouldn't actually tell them off.

Thanks
    Reviews

If the parent continues to be an ignorant **** i will encourage ds to get aggressive back (i find **** parents the first to come running when its their 'angel' being hurt).

I would have to have a go at the parent if they ignored the fact that their child bit mine and slapped me on the face, what a brat child and what a d head parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I only do if they are doing something that is harmful to my DS, it's not really my place if it does not involve my child if the parent is there ( even though you feel like it sometimes!)

we were at my SIL today and her friend has a 2 year old who is very ummm spirited! He snatched DS car off him and hit him over the head with it ( not hard) my instinct was to do what I would do if it were DS, I said " Lachy we don't hit people in this house that's not nice " and took the car off him! His mum was quite good and said you listen to Elijahs mum

I think if he was to hit me, again I would say that's not nice to hit, we don't hit in this house and if the mum didn't do anything there is not much else you can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    If the parent continues to be an ignorant **** i will encourage ds to get aggressive back (i find **** parents the first to come running when its their 'angel' being hurt).

I would have to have a go at the parent if they ignored the fact that their child bit mine and slapped me on the face, what a brat child and what a d head parent.

I think it's unfair to call a child a brat. Sounds to me like she's never been taught right from wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, if someone's child slapped me and didn't get disciplined I would find it hard not to slap the parent. My son can be a terror at times, and I always tell him off, ask him to say sorry and remove him from the situation. If I see my child being hurt and the parent isn't watching then I will happily tell the child not to hurt my son, I don't see the issue with that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it's unfair to call a child a brat. Sounds to me like she's never been taught right from wrong.
    I call my own son a brat when he gets his attitude happening.

He has been taught right from wrong he just has days where he wants to be a bratty mcbrat pants and i tell him to loose his bratitude or go back to bed.