+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did YOU first eat solids?

1986 and started at around 4 months, although my mum added Farex to my bottles from around 2-3 months. No allergies and I was ff from birth, with not even a whiff of colostrum.

My dads brother in the 60s in Souther Italy was fed goats milk, my momma had a double mastectomy and couldn't produce milk and they were so poor they actually just bought a goat and that was what he had. No allergies there either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: When did YOU first eat solids?

Quote Originally Posted by CakeyLoaf View Post
    1986 and started at around 4 months, although my mum added Farex to my bottles from around 2-3 months. No allergies and I was ff from birth, with not even a whiff of colostrum.

My dads brother in the 60s in Souther Italy was fed goats milk, my momma had a double mastectomy and couldn't produce milk and they were so poor they actually just bought a goat and that was what he had. No allergies there either.
    :what: that's amazing! I read a book about gypsy families once and apparently goats milk was always used for babies who couldnt be breastfed.. amazing really.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My mums baby notes said i (1985) started on mushy milk arroroot however u spell that.. At 6 weeks!! Crazy..
    i started ds on solids around 3mth he was super keen to start and such a guts from the start.
    I have no allergies either..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This is only kind of relevant. My neighbour is in her
    30s and from south Africa. She was never breastfed and her "formula" was carnations milk. Her mum was telling me she had solids from six weeks like biscuits and pureed fruit. As far as I know she has no allergies however her and her sisters all struggle with obesity, 2 have type 1 diabetes, one has already died and my neighbor has virtually no immune system..she is endlessly sick and is currently having tests done because of this. She is convinced her early diet is to blame..no idea if She is right or not but its pretty interesting.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Born 1990 started solids at about 6 months, breast fed til 13 months. I have an intolerance to dairy and am allergic to a multitude of things not food related.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was bottle fed. I have over eating and binge eating issues. Solids from 6 months. No allergies, but I don't drink/eat much dairy as I find it bloats me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was born in 1987 and my brother in 1989, we both started at 4 months. We were both breastfed til 6 months. My sister was born in 1993 and started at 8 months and breastfed til 22 months. She only started solids so late because she wouldn't take it. None of us have allergies, but my brother had asthma and eczema as a child and was lactose intolerant as a bub.
    Mum said she was told 3-4 months but knows lots of her friends started at 2 months.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Wow - my MIL was saying she recalled something about being told it was ok to start solids at 3m back in the 70s but I thought she was talking crazy talk!
    I was born in 1972 and started solids at 3 months, mum said that was normal age. I was breastfed until 10 months and then started on cows milk.

Even worse, mums milk supply never came in when she had my younger brother and he was fed tinned carnation milk instead of formula. He was the fattest baby you could ever imagine!! But a normal weight now.

Neither of us have any allergies or weight issues.
    Last edited by SpottySocks; 14-09-2012 at 12:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't believe some of the stories here - it's amazing what mums used to be advised to do!

But what - no one was raised on that BS barley water infant formula devised by L. Ron Hubbard & recommended for Scientology babies? [insert my "Don't get me started..." face]

Thanks
    Reviews
    1985 baby here, bottle fed (adopted), and Mum started solids (rice cereal) at 4 months. I've got my baby book, it was cute having a look through when DS was born and comparing our maternal health books.

No food allergies over here.

(A friend has TERRIBLE allergies, egg, nuts, terrible eczema and weepy skin, and was started on solids at 4 months. Thing is though, he also had CONDENSED MILK in his bottles! D: His Mum was put on that when she was a baby and took the "Well I did it and I turned out okay" method. Oh dear. There's not much I hate more than that sentence. :P)