+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Head circumference off the chart at 6 months

Hi,

I just had my DDs 6 month check up and they did her height, weight and head circumference.

At previous checks she's always been around the 50th percentile for height and weight and her head has always been at least the 75th percentile, so she's generally had a bigger head as does her father but I have a small head. Her head circumference this time was off the chart (so over the 100th percentile)

The doctor said she's not concerned at the moment but if in 3 months time, so at 9 months it's still off the chart or even bigger there could be a problem.

I didn't ask much at the time as she said she wasn't concerned yet but now I can't stop thinking about it.

DD also isn't sitting up on her own yet and the doc said she should be.

So firstly what sort of issues could there be if her head keeps growing? Also could that've why se isn't siting yet? Should she be or can that happen much later?

She's a serious baby around people she doesn't know but doctors and nurses arc always seem to think its a problem that she's not smiling and chatty around them. Now I've become so paranoid since my doctors visit that there is something wrong with my bub!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Head circumference off the chart at 6 months

I image if her head keeps growing and restricting her ability to sit the first test they will do is hydrocephalus ones.

Hydrocephalus is simply extra fluid on the brain, if not.picked up it can become a serious problem once the skull becomes fused.

I have hydrocephalus
    2 of my nephews were.born with massive heads and as I have it they were tested very young

Sent from my T-Hub2 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

If you want to keep tabs find a local mchn & get her head measured weekly, that will give you an idea of how her head is growing

Sent from my T-Hub2 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Lots and lots of babies don't sit till after 6 months, my 2 boys sat around 7m and my daughter not until 8m.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to millsmum For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

What causes hydrocephalus and what can they do about it to cure it before her skull fuses?

Will she have ongoing problems if this is what she has?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My DS has a big head! He was always in 95 percentile and his dad has a big head too so it runs in the family! as pp said just check it monthly until the 12 month check up

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    What causes hydrocephalus and what can they do about it to cure it before her skull fuses?

Will she have ongoing problems if this is what she has?
    They have no idea what causes it as far as i know,

If dx'd with it treatment is surgery before the skull fuses to put in a draining device known as a shunt.

I wouldn't stress though until you have a bit more data to work with,

Has her head circumference followed its line from birth or had a sudden jump?

The alarm bells for my family were suddenly my head started rapidly growing.

If dad has a big head chances are its just she got dads head

Also my ds was not sitting fully unsupported at 6 months, he could hold his head up and sit up for short periods of time but not forever and he did fall over while sitting a bit
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Left untreated hydrocephalus can cause a lot of damage. I'd be requesting a referral for an urgent MRI. Shunts are the answer but shunts themselves an cause a lot of problems. My son is onto his eighth shunt in 16 months. Shunt surgery is very serious, any brain surgery is. Fx it isn't hydro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chickenlicken79 For This Useful Post:

Kiwimummy2  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl is 6months at her 4 month check her head was off the chart. She isn't sitting yet, but no concerns have been raised. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was told the same thing with my son at the same age. What we had to do was make sure a nurse or mchn measured his head every month or so to ensure it still followed the growth curve. Had it continued to grow out of proportion with the rest of his measurements then yes it would have been a cause for concern.

He still has a big head but so is the rest of him and his father's head size is off the charts too much to his amusement.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub