+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sterilizing bottles & room temp boiled water.

I've recently heard that it is not recommened not to sterilize baby bottles, just a good wash in hot water & soap does the job. Who sterilizes and who doesn't?

Also at what age can you start giving babies boiled room temp bottles? ATM we are putting DDs bottles in the fridge and then heating in cup of hot water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always given room temp bottles - never refrigerated. We just stopped sterilising, DS is 8 months, I think we could have stopped earlier.

We also just add boiling water to the room temp bottles to heat them up - it takes less time to boil the kettle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped sterilizing just before six months. We still heat her bottles, DD doesn't like them at room temp so I only try if out and no heating facilities are handy. She'll only drink about half the bottle then so we really try to avoid the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DD2 is nearly 13 months and I still sterilise and heat!!! Just something I've always done. We are going away for a week at the end of the month, so once home I will stop sterilising. DD2, 2.5 years still gets her milk heated, so we'll be doing that for a while yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think you can do room temperature any time you want, if the baby will have it. (dd was always room temp DS wouldn't take his if it wasn't warm enough)

I sterilised with DD, my first till, 12mths, DS- hmm we stopped way before that, he is 18mths and I will occasionally still do it, but it hasn't been a regular thing for over a year! ( poor 2nd child )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sterilizing is recommended for FF, I think you don't need to for BF...

I have always given DS room temperature bottles (since 3 weeks)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sterilizing bottles & room temp boiled water.

I still sterilise my 18m.o dd's bottles. It's just habit for me to wash, rinse, put in microwave steriliser and I can't bring myself to stop lol

Thanks
    Reviews

We were told at the hospital that sterilising isn't needed for FF or BF. So we never sterilised with DS who was born in February. I soak the bottles in hot, soapy water, wash with a bottle brush, rinse and then fill with cooled boiled water. Then place on the bench to use as required. I wash bottles once a day. Both of my LOs took their bottles at room temperature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to the WHO you should always sterilize. Babies can have formula at room temp. Also formula should be made with water no less than 70 degrees ( do not allow to cool for more than 30 mins) then cooled rapidly to whatever feeding temp they prefer. We placed the made up bottle in ice water for a few mins.

Thanks
    Reviews

Delete off double post