+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD is 7, and doesn't turn the shower on and off. It's one of those stupid ones that needs to be in a very specific spot so it doesn't either burn or freeze you. She'd probably end up burning herself, so I turn it on and off.

The rest is up to her though. She calls out when she's done and I go turn it off.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oliver and Jordan are often in charge of the bath or shower. I had them filling the bath when they were 6, and using the shower independently at 7.

Once the bath is full, Gabriel and Julian are both quite capable of taking off their clothes, getting in, washing themselves and getting out.

I still put Lysander in, and wash him... but then he plays for a while and generally brings himself out with a towel.

But the boys are pretty independent and capable at 7.5.

So far their tasks (to date) are:
    -making breakfast for all the kids (cereal or toast or microwave heat ups like -tinned spaghetti or baked beans)
    -cooking instant noodles on the stove (with permission)
    -running the bath and showering independently (incl washing hair)
    -mowing the lawn (supervised with permission)
    - vacuuming their room and the lounge room (Gabriel vacuums his room- he's 5)

They'd love to do more. They also cook one night a week with supervision.

ETA: O and J brush their own teeth- I check them. I do the other kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How old was/would you expect..

I must have mis read. I thought OP was asking when we allowed them to independently do all of the above without needing assistance.
    My boys from age 3 have all got undressed, dressed, wash themselves , have unattended showers , dry them selves, brush their teeth (with a good check from myself after). But to allow to trust them to run the shower or bath I wouldn't trust them and to actually get out of the shower no way, I have to nag and nag and nag to get them out. I don't think my eldest, 6.5 will be capable of making the decision that it is enough now, he would stay in the shower an hour laying on the floor playing cars if I left him to his own devices :-)
    So again I still say roughly 9 to do the whole shamoozle without needing prompting or help .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I didn't say you were being irresponsible.. I was just letting the other poster know that brushing her child's teeth IS NOT an@l.

I see how my comment may have then implied the opposite but that is not how I meant it.
    Yep, sorry....was very early after not a lot of sleep with sick kids. I probably just had my cranky pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Oliver and Jordan are often in charge of the bath or shower. I had them filling the bath when they were 6, and using the shower independently at 7.

Once the bath is full, Gabriel and Julian are both quite capable of taking off their clothes, getting in, washing themselves and getting out.

I still put Lysander in, and wash him... but then he plays for a while and generally brings himself out with a towel.

But the boys are pretty independent and capable at 7.5.

So far their tasks (to date) are:
    -making breakfast for all the kids (cereal or toast or microwave heat ups like -tinned spaghetti or baked beans)
    -cooking instant noodles on the stove (with permission)
    -running the bath and showering independently (incl washing hair)
    -mowing the lawn (supervised with permission)
    - vacuuming their room and the lounge room (Gabriel vacuums his room- he's 5)

They'd love to do more. They also cook one night a week with supervision.

ETA: O and J brush their own teeth- I check them. I do the other kids.
    Oh thank you!! The next time my mother tells me I expect my kids to do too much I'm going to let her know about this! I don't think it's too much, btw, but apparently getting my older two to make their own beds and getting all of my kids to clean up their toys is asking them to do too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Kelly8329;6832214]I must have mis read. I thought OP was asking when we allowed them to independently do all of the above without needing assistance.
    QUOTE]

I was

..but that's okay - it is good to compare what everyone else does.

Personally - I say, "all right shower time (we have no bath *stomps feet*) after dinner and I expect all three of them [DS1 is 7 , DD & DS2 are 5 1/2] to go down to the bath room get undressed and ready for a shower, they have all been taught how to run the shower, so first undressed does that and gets in, I am usually hovering around folding clothes or cleaning up after dinner, I suggest one of them take all the dirty clothes to the laundry. Then I pump some shampoo if they need it onto their hands, followed by body wash (I have learnt the hard way NOT to leave it within their reach - watching a FULL $20 bottle of body wash go down the drain is deflating) ...remind them to rinse off, get out dry, get dressed, come back and do teeth/comb hair.
    repeat again X2.
    I KNOW they can do it - they just stuff about and need constant reminding.
    I always supervise teeth brushing and occasionally ask if I can have a turn if they do it lazily.

I'm wondering if they will do it all unsupervised if I pop a timer in there and only have ONE child at a time in the bathroom. It is just force of habit for me to have them lined up - conveyer belt style

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone piles in the shower together here but they are getting too big to share the shower now (physically I mean..they complain about not getting enough water) so I think it will be DD1 on her own, and DD2 and DS together...when we move house hopefully we have a normal shower that's not as risky to get in and out of and temp control on the hot water so DD1 can do it all herself. I think I'd give her a timer just so she doesn't stuff around and knows when it is time to get out.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I let the boys have about 5 mins... and then I start my "Argh your mother is going to end up with a cold shower if you don't get out now" dance. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How old was/would you expect..

DS is 4 and if I left him to bathe himself nothing would happen,save for him playing. I have not thought of letting him do it himself yet,but I imagine thst.it will be wirhin the next two years.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My kids definitely muck about more when bathing/brushing together.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 was doing this at 6 years old (probably would have at 5 too, but with two younger siblings, I would just bath her with them).

However DD2 who is 6 probably wouldn't be capable of doing this herself.

So it really depends on your children, if you think they should be able to, then I think that's a good indicator that they are ready.