+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DS was 5 in June. I turn the taps on for him but he showers and turns the taps off. The only exception is when he has his hair washed, I still do that for him. With teeth brushing, he has a turn then it's Mummy or Daddy's turn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How old was/would you expect..

My daughter who has just turned 5 does all of this on her own. She knows to put her hand in first to 'test' the water before jumping in the shower.

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How old was/would you expect..

My 5 year old showers, dresses, brushes his teeth himself. I just turn the shower on and off. I also have to remind him to flush the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Depends on the child...

DD11 still gets me to run the bath and put the shower on. But can do all the rest independently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest is nearly 7. We turn the water on for her. There's no temp control on our water so it gets bluddy hot and I'm not risking her getting burnt. Our shower is also in our spa bath, so it's a massive step to get in and out. I usually assist her getting out just to make sure she doesn't slip (it's a very nasty fall if she does). She dries herself in warmer months, I dry in the cooler months, just cause they're all freezing and it's quicker if I do. She gets herself dressed, brushes her own teeth etc. I shampoo and condition her hair, she washes it out herself.
    I am not comortable for her to run her own shower or bath yet even though she's probably capable. I think I'll allow her to have that responsibility when she's 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I will point out that my son's Dentist was SO so so happy when I told her we brush my almost 5 year olds teeth.

She said if she could scream from the mountain tops she would, that parents should brush their child's teeth until age 7 or 8 when they are old enough to do a very thorough job.

To answer the OP my son is almost 5 and is in no way capable of regulating the shower temperatures or lathering himself up with soap, dry himself off etc... But he does have Aspergers and is not the most focused child, nor very good with motor skills, coordination and is terrible with sequence planning (even picture schedules don't help much these days)
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 13-09-2012 at 19:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aside from turning on and off the taps, my 3 year old is capable of doing all of that himself. And he does every night, except for brushing his teeth (which I do because I am anal about oral hygiene).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Kaktuz  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by schmetterling18 View Post
    Aside from turning on and off the taps, my 3 year old is capable of doing all of that himself. And he does every night, except for brushing his teeth (which I do because I am anal about oral hygiene).
    That's not being an@l... Thats being a responsible parent :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I'd had it so intensely drummed into me DO NOT TOUCH THE TAPS OR YOULL GET BURNT that I think even at 8ish I needed mum to turn the shower off and on because I was scared. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

We have mixers in showers and baths not taps so DSs can manage those themselves!

They have been doing everything since about age 5 - except teeth at night - we clean those, they clean in morning!